Lupul nets winner in third as Toronto edges DetroitJan 8, 2012 - 4:33 AM
Phil Kessel scored on a penalty shot, Dion Phaneuf tallied during a power play, and David Steckel also lit the lamp for Toronto, which is 3-0-0 during its four-game homestand. The Leafs next face Buffalo on Tuesday in the opener of a home-and-home.
Toronto, which got 37 saves from Jonas Gustavsson, has also won four consecutive home games against Detroit. The Red Wings haven't beaten the Leafs in Toronto since November 16, 2002.
Jimmy Howard allowed four goals on only 18 shots for Detroit, which had won four of five.
The Red Wings faced a three-goal deficit after the first period, but rallied from behind and drew even on Jiri Hudler's wrister 4:32 into the third period.
However, Lupul gave the Leafs another lead thanks to a turnover. Just after a left-circle faceoff in the Red Wings' zone, Detroit defenseman Niklas Kronwall caught up to the puck behind the goal line and tried to send the puck around the boards.
But his weak attempt bounced to Lupul, who skated from behind the net on the right side and lifted a backhander over Howard at 7:10. Gustavsson was tested in the remaining time, but made 15 saves in the third period to help secure the victory.
"They had 16 shots and maybe three quality scoring chances. I thought we did a pretty good job of keeping them on the outside," Leafs head coach Ron Wilson said. "They had some obviously scary moments; that one chance with about 40 seconds to go made my heart stop. But the monster (Gustavsson) came up big."
Toronto built a lead with three first-period goals. Kessel earned a penalty shot at 4:30 and cashed in, stick-handling near the net to get Howard off balance before wristing a shot past the goaltender's glove.
The Leafs went on the man advantage when Henrik Zetterberg was whistled for stick-holding at 8:12, and Phaneuf scored only seven seconds in. He kept a clearing attempt in the zone by the right point, then blasted a shot through traffic.
Steckel scored during a counter-rush at 11:36 to make it a 3-0 game.
But the Red Wings chipped away, getting on the board on Todd Bertuzzi's tip-in at 6:46 of the second period. With just more than four minutes left in the period, Kronwall skated in from the left side and netted a backhander.
Detroit fell to 1-1-0 during its four-game road trip, which continues Sunday in Chicago...Pavel Datsyuk and Johan Franzen each had two assists for the Red Wings...Lupul and Kessel assisted on Steckel's tally.
- DETROIT: 3
Jan 7 9:36 PM
- Toronto Goal - Joffrey Lupul (19), at 7:10.
Red Wings 3, Maple Leafs 4 3rd - 12:50Jan 7 9:11 PM
- Detroit Goal - Jiri Hudler (12), from Brad Stuart and Henrik Zetterberg at 4:32.
Red Wings 3, Maple Leafs 3 3rd - 15:28Jan 7 9:06 PM
- DETROIT: 2
End of 2nd
Jan 7 8:41 PM
- Detroit Goal - Niklas Kronwall (9), at 15:49.
Red Wings 2, Maple Leafs 3 2nd - 4:11Jan 7 8:34 PM
- Detroit Goal - Pavel Datsyuk, at 6:46.
Red Wings 1, Maple Leafs 3 2nd - 13:14Jan 7 8:17 PM
- DETROIT: 0
End of 1st
Jan 7 7:49 PM
- Toronto Goal - David Steckel (7), from Joffrey Lupul and Phil Kessel at 11:36.
Red Wings 0, Maple Leafs 3 1st - 8:24Jan 7 7:36 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - Dion Phaneuf (7), at 8:19.
Red Wings 0, Maple Leafs 2 1st - 11:41Jan 7 7:30 PM
- Toronto Goal - Phil Kessel (24), at 4:30.
Red Wings 0, Maple Leafs 1 1st - 15:30Jan 7 7:22 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 7 7:16 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25