Goc, Panthers edge CanucksJan 10, 2012 - 5:06 AM
Dmitry Kulikov notched the other goal for the Panthers, who snapped a two-game skid.
"We believe that we can beat anyone in the league on any given night," Clemmensen said. "Vancouver's one of the best teams in the league and we think we can beat them and we showed it tonight. It's the mentality of this team. We don't expect to compete, we expect to win."
Dale Weise's first-period goal was the sole offense for the Canucks, who failed to capitalize on the momentum from an emotional, scrappy 4-3 win in Boston on Saturday.
Roberto Luongo made 20 saves in defeat, Vancouver's third in five contests.
Florida tied the game at the five-minute mark of the second as Kulikov followed up a Goc shot which kicked out to the left boards and beat Luongo to the near side from the circle.
The Panthers went up by a 2-1 count on a power play with 10:52 gone as Goc's second-chance swat at a loose puck in the slot slid past a sprawled Luongo at the left post.
Florida came under fire in the third, as Vancouver claimed a 14-2 shot advantage -- which was a reversal from the second period -- but Clemmensen did not falter.
"That second period enabled their team to believe they had a chance to win, and when a team starts believing, sometimes good things happen," Vancouver head coach Alain Vigneault said. "In the third period their goaltender made the saves he needed to make and we couldn?t score."
Weise put the Canucks on the board at 3:11 of the first period on a tip-in from the right side, finishing off a 2-on-1 break by flipping home a Manny Malhotra pass.
Vancouver had won three straight and four of the last five meetings coming in...Florida's victory was its first over the Canucks since a 4-3 shootout decision on February 1, 2008...The Panthers' last regulation victory against Vancouver occurred on October 20, 1999, a 5-2 result.
- VANCOUVER: 1
Jan 9 9:56 PM
- VANCOUVER: 1
End of 2nd
Jan 9 9:04 PM
- Florida Power-Play Goal - Marcel Goc (4), from Kris Versteeg and Jason Garrison at 10:52.
Canucks 1, Panthers 2 2nd - 9:08Jan 9 8:47 PM
- Florida Goal - Dmitry Kulikov (4), from Marcel Goc at 5:00.
Canucks 1, Panthers 1 2nd - 15:00Jan 9 8:35 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Dale Weise (3), at 3:11.
Canucks 1, Panthers 0 1st - 16:49Jan 9 7:42 PM
- VANCOUVER: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 9 7:38 PM
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26
- Panthers came far in 2015-16, now eyeing the future Apr 25
- Islanders advance to second round for first time since 1993 Apr 25
- Islanders beat Panthers 2-1 in 2OTs to end playoff drought Apr 25
- Panthers C Nick Bjugstad out for Game 5 against Islanders Apr 24