Moulson, Tavares lift Islanders past Red WingsJan 11, 2012 - 4:26 AM
The Islanders have won four straight over the Red Wings and five of the last six. They scored three goals on four shots against Ty Conklin in the second period to take a 4-0 lead.
"For some odd reason, we seem to play really well against them," said Moulson. "They're a good team, but we executed tonight."
Tavares had a goal and two assists and Mark Streit had three assists in the win.
Evgeni Nabokov made 23 saves for New York, which snapped a two-game losing streak, and Conklin allowed five goals on 30 shots as Detroit finished 2-2 on a four-game road trip.
Moulson gave the Islanders a 1-0 lead with 53 seconds left in the first period when his attempted pass through the crease, intended for Tavares on the right side, was deflected into the goal instead.
Tavares got another chance, scoring on a snap shot from the left side that beat Conklin over the glove 7:31 into the second period. Okposo assisted on the goal, then was paid back by Tavares on a rush, receiving a nice pass in the slot to make it 2-0.
The Islanders continued make good on their sparse chances and Grabner gave them a 4-0 lead with 1:28 remaining in the second period, scoring top-shelf on a rush.
"I thought we were going to have a bit more jump than we did," said Red Wings defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom, responding to his team's effort in the second period. "They were outskating us, especially in the neutral zone."
Detroit's only goal came 2:36 into the third period when Justin Abdelkader got a piece of Jakub Kindl's shot from high on the right side. Moulson got his second goal on a tip-in off Streit's shot later in the third.
The Islanders have won five of their last six vs. the Red Wings. They started a four-game homestand that also includes games against Philadelphia, Buffalo and Nashville...The Red Wings are headed home for three straight games starting with Phoenix on Thursday. They are 11-13 on the road this season and 15-2-1 at home.
- DETROIT: 1
NEW YORK: 5
Jan 10 9:22 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Matt Moulson (20), from Mark Streit and John Tavares at 13:57.
Red Wings 1, Islanders 5 3rd - 6:03Jan 10 9:13 PM
- Detroit Goal - Justin Abdelkader (5), at 2:36.
Red Wings 1, Islanders 4 3rd - 17:24Jan 10 8:52 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Michael Grabner (11), at 18:32.
Red Wings 0, Islanders 4 2nd - 1:28Jan 10 8:28 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Kyle Okposo (9), at 11:10.
Red Wings 0, Islanders 3 2nd - 8:50Jan 10 8:16 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - John Tavares (14), at 7:31.
Red Wings 0, Islanders 2 2nd - 12:29Jan 10 8:11 PM
- DETROIT: 0
NEW YORK: 1
End of 1st
Jan 10 7:42 PM
- NY Islanders Power-Play Goal - John Tavares (14), at 19:07.
Red Wings 0, Islanders 1 1st - 0:53Jan 10 7:39 PM
- DETROIT: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 10 7:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7