Devils beat Oilers on Parise's OT winnerJan 12, 2012 - 7:39 AM
Patrik Elias set up the game-winner with a pass from the side of the net that found Parise in front of the crease. Corey Potter was off for Edmonton after taking a tripping penalty with 36 seconds left in the third period.
Ilya Kovalchuk scored the other goal on a shorthanded break and had two points for the Devils, who won for the third time in four games. They are 11-2 in overtime this season.
"I thought it was a gutsy effort by us," Devils head coach Peter DeBoer said. "I thought is was a gritty effort and a gutsy two points."
Johan Hedberg had 22 saves for New Jersey and improved to 7-1 versus the Oilers. He outdueled fellow 38-year-old Nikolai Khabibulin, who allowed two goals on 25 shots for struggling Edmonton.
Ales Hemsky tied the game 8:32 into the third period, making it 1-1 with a slap shot from the left side that got through a screen.
But the Oilers fell to 4-14-2 in their last 20 games and couldn't rebound from a 1-6 road trip. They earned a point for only the third time in their last 13 games.
"We came back from 1-0 in the third. It's not like we had a 3-1 lead and gave it up," said Edmonton's Taylor Hall, who had an assist. "When you're losing going into the third and you come out with a point, it's not always a bad thing."
The Devils broke a scoreless tie suddenly.
They were shorthanded on David Clarkson's interference penalty, but Kovalchuk cheated to steal a pass at the blue line and skated directly at Khabibulin on a breakaway, snapping a low shot that beat the goaltender into the right side of the net.
It was New Jersey's league-high 11th shorthanded goal this season.
Parise extended his point streak to five games (two goals, six assists) and Kovalchuk upped his to four games (5g, 3a)...The Devils are 2-1 on a four-game road trip.
- NEW JERSEY: 2
Final - OT
Jan 11 11:30 PM
- New Jersey Power-Play Goal - Zach Parise (15), from Patrik Elias and Ilya Kovalchuk at 1:06.
Devils 2, Oilers 1 OT - 3:54Jan 11 11:30 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 1
End of Regulation
Jan 11 11:28 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Ales Hemsky (4), at 8:32.
Devils 1, Oilers 1 3rd - 11:28Jan 11 11:05 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 2nd
Jan 11 10:33 PM
- New Jersey Short-Handed Goal - Ilya Kovalchuk (17), at 8:35.
Devils 1, Oilers 0 2nd - 11:25Jan 11 10:11 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
End of 1st
Jan 11 9:42 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 11 9:09 PM
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13