Purcell leads Lightning past StarsJan 21, 2012 - 5:15 AM
Purcell scored early in the first period, then again early the third, and Martin St. Louis chipped in with two assists for the Lightning, who have won back-to-back games after dropping seven straight. Mathieu Garon was stellar in goal, stopping 27-of-28 shots in the victory.
"Right from the first shift, you could see he was battling hard and he gets the result from his work ethic," Lightning coach Guy Boucher said of Purcell.
Tom Wandell scored and Kari Lehtonen gave up both tallies on 22 shots in defeat for the Stars, who have lost four consecutive games -- all by a one goal margin.
Tampa Bay's winning goal came at 3:36 of the final stanza when Purcell picked up the puck in the defensive zone and raced up the right wing, cut into the slot and backhanded it past Lehtonen.
The Stars pulled Lehtonen with a minute to go in regulation, and got some good shots on net, but they could not beat Garon and the Lightning held on for the win.
Tampa Bay opened the scoring at 18:48 of the first period with some great work in the offensive zone. Holding the puck in the right corner, St. Louis warded off a pair of Stars checkers, peeked over his shoulder and found Purcell all alone in the slot and the rugged forward slipped the puck through the legs of Lehtonen.
After a scoreless second stanza, Dallas finally got on the board 1:22 into the final period when Wandell led the rush through the neutral zone and dished to Loui Eriksson on the right wing. Wandell went to the net and got the puck back before chipping it into the net. The play was reviewed as it appeared that Wandell kicked it in, but the goal stood.
"It just wasn't good enough," Stars defenseman Stephane Robidas said. "We need points badly, we've gotten one point in our last four games. We needed to win desperately in our own building, but it wasn't good enough."
It was Purcell's second career two-goal game....Dallas dropped to 19-8-3 all- time against the Tampa Bay...Dallas failed to score on four power-play chances, while the Lightning went 0-for-3 with the man advantage...The Stars will look to snap their losing streak against the Minnesota Wild on Saturday, while the Lightning will visit the Phoenix Coyotes, also on Saturday...The Lightning snapped a six-game road losing streak.
- TAMPA BAY: 2
Jan 20 11:11 PM
- Steven Stamkos shot blocked by Trevor Daley.
Lightning 2, Stars 1 3rd - 16:16Jan 20 10:37 PM
- Dominic Moore shot blocked by Steve Ott.
Lightning 1, Stars 1 3rd - 18:02Jan 20 10:34 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 2nd
Jan 20 10:11 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 1st
Jan 20 9:14 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Teddy Purcell (10), from Martin St. Louis at 18:48.
Lightning 1, Stars 0 1st - 1:12Jan 20 9:11 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 20 8:38 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19