Eaton celebrates milestone with OT winner as Isles slip by SensFeb 4, 2012 - 5:20 AM
Eaton was in the right place at the right time on the right side to accept a Milan Jurcina pass and backhand the puck past an out-of-position Craig Anderson to end the contest.
"It's nice to see a guy like Mark Eaton score. He's done a lot of great things for us this year, a lot of the little things that don't get a lot of the press," said Islanders forward John Tavares. "It's great to see him score a nice one there and it's a big win for us."
Matt Martin also tallied and Evgeni Nabokov stopped 23 shots for the Islanders, who had lost two in a row.
Zack Smith scored for the Senators, who returned home following a six-game road trip but lost their fifth straight outing. Anderson finished with 30 saves.
"We were finally back at home and were hoping to snap our losing streak. We fell short again today," Smith said. "I don't think we got as many pucks to the net as we should have."
After several close calls, Ottawa picked up the game's first goal while short- handed with 13 seconds left in the second period.
Smith stole the puck from a New York player inside his own zone, broke free up the left-wing side, carried the puck through center ice and into the Islanders' zone before launching a floater that deflected off the tip of Nabokov's glove and into the net.
Martin tied the game with 5:27 played in the third, as he was alone on the right wing to take a P.A. Parenteau feed and score with a wrister from the right circle.
Eaton also picked up his first goal in 120 games, since November 28, 2009 against the Rangers while playing for Pittsburgh...Parenteau assisted on both Islander goals...Friday's tilt marked the 1,500th in modern Senators franchise history, dating back to their 1992 revival.
- NEW YORK: 2
Final - OT
Feb 3 10:08 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Mark Eaton, at 2:35.
Islanders 2, Senators 1 OT - 2:25Feb 3 10:05 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of Regulation
Feb 3 10:02 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Matt Martin (6), at 5:27.
Islanders 1, Senators 1 3rd - 14:33Feb 3 9:30 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 2nd
Feb 3 9:05 PM
- Ottawa Short-Handed Goal - Zack Smith (13), at 19:47.
Islanders 0, Senators 1 2nd - 0:13Feb 3 9:05 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Feb 3 8:14 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 3 7:38 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Marc Crawford back in the NHL as an assistant with Ottawa May 11
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Monday Sports In Brief May 10
- Sens GM Dorion says Boucher was first choice to fill vacancy May 9
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Boucher hired as the new head coach of the Ottawa Senators May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7