Hartnell helps Flyers edge LeafsFeb 10, 2012 - 4:11 AM
Maxime Talbot, Claude Giroux and Brayden Schenn also lit the lamp for the Flyers, who put an end to a season-high three-game losing streak.
Sergei Bobrovsky stopped 24-of-27 shots in the win.
"He made some big saves tonight and stood on his head a couple of times," Hartnell said about Bobrovsky. "We needed it, he needed it and we have to keep rolling."
Tyler Bozak scored twice, while Joffrey Lupul also tallied a goal in Toronto's second straight loss on the heels of a three-game win streak. James Reimer stopped 35 shots in a losing effort.
The lone goal of the first period belonged to the Flyers with 5:22 left in the frame when Erik Gustafsson's shot from the left point was stopped in a crowd in front of the net, but Hartnell batted the bouncing puck past Reimer and then immediately dropped the gloves with Toronto's Dion Phaneuf, who laid a big hit on Hartnell behind the net moments before the goal.
Toronto then knotted the game at one just 54 seconds into the second period when Bozak received a pass in the right circle and swooped around behind the net before throwing a shot on net from the left circle that deflected in off the skate of Philadelphia's Braydon Coburn.
Philadelphia took the lead back less than three minutes later on Talbot's deflection of an Andrej Meszaros wrister from the point, but the Leafs answered with Lupul's power play goal at the 5:57 mark of the frame when he cleaned up Phaneuf's slap shot from the right point that Bobrovsky couldn't corral with his glove.
A quick wrister from Giroux from the right circle that snuck under the crossbar at the 13:53 mark of the middle stanza and a one-timer from the left of the net from Schenn off a big rebound 1:14 later put the Flyers up 4-2.
But Bozak finished off an offensive flurry in front of Bobrovsky by elevating the puck over the prone goaltender with 1:51 remaining to make it a 4-3 game after two.
"We didn't really start playing until the beginning of the second period. They had us on our heels," Toronto head coach Ron Wilson said. "We looked like we didn't want the puck in the first period and once we kind of took a deep breath and realized they weren't doing anything different then we expected, we put our nose to the grindstone and fought our way back into the game."
The Leafs, though, could not get another puck past Bobrovsky in the third, including while on a 6-on-4 advantage in the final two minutes after pulling Reimer in the midst of a power play.
The Flyers improved to 13-8-5 at home this season, while the Leafs fell to 12-13-2 on the road this season...Toronto's Phil Kessel had his three-game goal streak snapped...Philadelphia went 0-for-4 on the power play. Toronto has now gone 17 straight games without allowing a power-play goal...The Leafs were 1-for-4 on the man advantage.
- TORONTO: 3
Feb 9 9:37 PM
- TORONTO: 3
End of 2nd
Feb 9 8:45 PM
- Toronto Goal - Tyler Bozak (12), at 18:09.
Maple Leafs 3, Flyers 4 2nd - 1:51Feb 9 8:43 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Brayden Schenn (6), from Danny Briere and Wayne Simmonds at 15:07.
Maple Leafs 2, Flyers 4 2nd - 4:53Feb 9 8:38 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Claude Giroux (21), from Scott Hartnell and Jaromir Jagr at 13:53.
Maple Leafs 2, Flyers 3 2nd - 6:07Feb 9 8:35 PM
- Jake Gardiner shot blocked by Matt Carle.
Maple Leafs 2, Flyers 2 2nd - 13:25Feb 9 8:19 PM
- Dion Phaneuf shot blocked by Maxime Talbot.
Maple Leafs 1, Flyers 2 2nd - 15:47Feb 9 8:14 PM
- Maxime Talbot shot on James Reimer.
Maple Leafs 1, Flyers 1 2nd - 16:28Feb 9 8:13 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Maxime Talbot (13), at 3:32.
Maple Leafs 1, Flyers 2 2nd - 16:28Feb 9 8:12 PM
- Toronto Goal - Tyler Bozak (11), at :54.
Maple Leafs 1, Flyers 1 2nd - 19:06Feb 9 8:08 PM
- TORONTO: 0
End of 1st
Feb 9 7:49 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Scott Hartnell (26), from Jaromir Jagr and Erik Gustafsson at 14:38.
Maple Leafs 0, Flyers 1 1st - 5:22Feb 9 7:41 PM
- TORONTO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 9 7:10 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Apr 24