Richards lifts Rangers over Lightning in OTFeb 10, 2012 - 4:56 AM
Ryan Callahan, Derek Stepan and Brian Boyle also scored for the Rangers, who have won three of their last four, while Martin Biron made three of his 14 saves in the third period.
Steven Stamkos, Vincent Lecavalier and Bruno Gervais had goals for Tampa Bay, which has lost three of its last four. Mathieu Garon gave up four goals on 31 shots.
"We played a pretty solid game (but) we missed some opportunities to get a two-goal lead," said Lecavalier. "It definitely could have gone either way tonight."
Richards scored on New York's first shot of overtime after Michael Del Zotto took the puck from a Lightning player on the right side and passed to Artem Anisimov in the slot.
Anisimov slid a pass low to Richards on the right side, who slapped the puck in as he fell to the ice.
"Overtime winners are special no matter what," said Richards, who played for the Lightning from 2000-08. "And getting one against your former team ... put all those things together and it's a lot of fun."
Earlier, Boyle tied the game midway through the third period on a quick shot from the left side.
The Rangers were coming off a 1-0 loss to Martin Brodeur and the Devils on Tuesday, which ended in controversy when a potential game-tying goal with 3.5 seconds left was waived off because Marian Gaborik crashed into the net and was called for interference, although it appeared he had been pushed.
They have 73 points, leading the Atlantic Division and the Eastern Conference, but had to come back after giving up a 2-1 lead.
Stamkos scored the only goal of the first period, skating in behind two defensemen and sneaking a backhand past Biron with 64 seconds left to give the Lightning a 1-0 lead.
Callahan's power play goal on a tipped shot and Stepan's spinning shot off his own rebound in the slot made it 2-1 Rangers 5:27 into the second period. But Lecavalier scored just 21 seconds later and Gervais made it 3-2 on a power play at the 12:26 mark.
Lecavalier banked a shot in off a Rangers player who was in the crease behind Biron, and Gervais was left wide open in the slot for a wrister.
The Rangers have won two of their three meetings this season, but Tampa Bay is 5-2 in the last seven...New York went 2-1 on a three-game homestand and will play at Philadelphia on Saturday...Tampa Bay started a three-game road trip that wraps up with games in Buffalo and Pittsburgh on Saturday and Sunday, respectively.
- TAMPA BAY: 3
NEW YORK: 4
Final - OT
Feb 9 9:40 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Brad Richards (17), from Artem Anisimov and Michael Del Zotto at 2:37.
Lightning 3, Rangers 4 OT - 2:23Feb 9 9:39 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 3
NEW YORK: 3
End of Regulation
Feb 9 9:32 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Brian Boyle (5), at 10:13.
Lightning 3, Rangers 3 3rd - 9:47Feb 9 9:18 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 3
NEW YORK: 2
End of 2nd
Feb 9 8:45 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Bruno Gervais (4), at 12:26.
Lightning 3, Rangers 2 2nd - 7:34Feb 9 8:30 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Vincent Lecavalier (21), at 5:48.
Lightning 2, Rangers 2 2nd - 14:12Feb 9 8:12 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Derek Stepan (11), from Dan Girardi and Marian Gaborik at 5:27.
Lightning 1, Rangers 2 2nd - 14:33Feb 9 8:11 PM
- NY Rangers Power-Play Goal - Ryan Callahan (18), from Michael Del Zotto and Derek Stepan at 4:33.
Lightning 1, Rangers 1 2nd - 15:27Feb 9 8:08 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Feb 9 7:42 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Steven Stamkos (36), at 18:56.
Lightning 1, Rangers 0 1st - 1:04Feb 9 7:39 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 9 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17