Lundqvist, Rangers blank BruinsFeb 15, 2012 - 4:44 AM
Lundqvist made 18 of his season-high 42 saves in the third period for the Rangers, who improved to 8-1-1 over their last 10 games and pace the Eastern Conference with 79 points, one fewer than Detroit for the NHL lead.
"Teams go on streaks. There are a lot of things that can happen, so [the standings] are not on our mind at all right now," said Ryan Callahan, who had a goal. "We just have to keep rolling, and also it's important to keep improving."
Tim Thomas stopped 17 shots for Boston, which has dropped five of eight.
"We certainly could have done more," said Bruins head coach Claude Julien. "They won more battles than we did tonight."
Callahan continued his torrid streak by opening the scoring on a power play 10:09 into the game.
Boston captain Zdeno Chara was hit by Rangers defenseman Dan Girardi, fell and closed his hand on the puck in the offensive zone.
On the ensuing man advantage, Michael Del Zotto shifted from his point position down to the left circle, where he gathered Marian Gaborik's pass and quickly dished through the crease to Callahan for an easy tap-in.
It was Callahan's 23rd goal of the season -- matching his career high set last year -- and the sixth in four games for the New York captain.
Ryan McDonagh fired a shot from the boards near the outer edge of the left circle that went in off Chara to put the Rangers up 2-0 with 11.8 seconds remaining in the first period.
Artem Anisimov hanged on to the puck on a 2-on-1 rush and beat Thomas with a shot to his blocker side at the 2:53 mark of the third period.
Lundqvist recorded his 42nd career shutout. He started his 22nd consecutive game for the Rangers against Boston, dating back to January 13, 2007...Callahan has 99 career goals...Anisimov notched his 100th career point...Gaborik turned 30 on Tuesday...Before the game, the Bruins signed defenseman Johnny Boychuk to a three-year contract extension...Boston begins a six-game road trip Wednesday in Montreal...The Rangers host the Chicago Blackhawks on Thursday.
- NEW YORK: 3
Feb 14 9:42 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Artem Anisimov (10), at 2:53.
Rangers 3, Bruins 0 3rd - 17:07Feb 14 9:04 PM
- NEW YORK: 2
End of 2nd
Feb 14 8:42 PM
- NEW YORK: 2
End of 1st
Feb 14 7:47 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Ryan McDonagh (6), at 19:48.
Rangers 2, Bruins 0 1st - 0:12Feb 14 7:46 PM
- NY Rangers Power-Play Goal - Ryan Callahan (23), at 10:09.
Rangers 1, Bruins 0 1st - 9:51Feb 14 7:26 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 14 7:08 PM
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Bergeron, Kesler, Kopitar are Selke Trophy finalists Apr 28
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Apr 26
- Penguins goaltender Fleury still dealing with concussion Apr 25
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- New faces making instant impact during Penguins' surge Apr 24