Nabokov, Islanders down JetsFeb 15, 2012 - 5:31 AM
P.A. Parenteau had a goal and an assist while Matt Martin and Matt Moulson also scored for the Islanders, who have won two of three.
"Well, I thought that the second and the third I thought we played pretty well," Islanders head coach Jack Capuano said. "In the first period they came hard. I thought that they activated their D real well. I mean we gave up the 16 shots, and we regrouped a little bit in the second and third I thought we played good, a decent game."
Chris Thorburn scored the lone goal for the Jets, who have dropped their past two. Ondrej Pavelec gave up two goals on 24 shots in the loss.
The Jets scored the only goal of the first period with 2:10 left in the frame as Jim Slater threw a shot on net from the right side that Nabokov stopped, but he kicked the rebound out front where Thorburn slammed it home.
The Islanders, though, tied the game at the 3:55 mark of the second while on the power play. Moulson kept in a clear in the high slot and dished it to the left circle for John Tavares, who immediately sent it back to Moulson for a one-timer past Pavelec.
New York made it a 2-1 game 1:36 into the third when Milan Jurcina's shot from the right circle was redirected into the net by Parenteau for his 12th of the season.
Martin scored into the empty net in the final minute to seal the win.
"This is going to be a tough hill to climb," Jets head coach Claude Noel said. "To me this is the true test of character. We are going to see it. You don't have a lot of time to regroup or practice. You got eight games in 14 days you are going to be playing you are going to see what you are made of."
The Islanders play in St. Louis on Thursday...Winnipeg plays in Minnesota on Thursday...New York has taken two of three from Winnipeg this season... Winnipeg went 0-for-3 on the power play while New York was 1-for-1.
- NEW YORK: 3
Feb 14 10:58 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Matt Martin (7), from P.A. Parenteau at 19:07.
Islanders 3, Jets 1 3rd - 0:53Feb 14 10:56 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - P.A. Parenteau (12), from Milan Jurcina and Brian Rolston at 1:36.
Islanders 2, Jets 1 3rd - 18:24Feb 14 10:25 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of 2nd
Feb 14 10:06 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Matt Moulson, at 3:55.
Islanders 1, Jets 1 2nd - 16:05Feb 14 9:38 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Feb 14 9:13 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Chris Thorburn (3), at 17:50.
Islanders 0, Jets 1 1st - 2:10Feb 14 9:10 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 14 8:38 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7
- Garrison's OT goal lifts Lightning to 2-1 win over Islanders May 7
- Islanders look for win amid improved play against Lightning May 6