Connolly lifts Leafs to OT win over OilersFeb 16, 2012 - 6:41 AM
Joffrey Lupul collected the disc in the defensive zone and raced up the left wing on a 3-on-1. Lupul held the puck until he got to the circle and feathered a pass over to Connolly, who easily tapped it in for the winner.
Lupul, Matthew Lombardi and Jake Gardiner all scored in regulation for the Leafs, who snapped a season-high four-game losing streak. James Reimer made 29 saves in the victory.
Ben Eager, Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle lit the lamp for the Oilers, who had their four-game winning streak on home ice snapped. Nikolai Khabibulin was tagged for all four goals on 26 shots in defeat.
The Leafs wasted no time opening the scoring, finding the back of the net just 40 seconds into the contest.
Phil Kessel gained the blue line on the rush and cut to the slot before dropping it off for Lupul, who ripped a quick wrister past the glove side of Khabibulin.
Toronto extended its lead to 2-0 just 58 seconds later when Cody Franson sent a pass right up the middle to Lombardi at the blue line and the veteran center went in on Khabibulin and buried a backhander.
The Oilers cut the deficit to 2-1 54 seconds later after Lennart Petrell chased down a loose puck behind the net and swung it out front to Eager, who fired it into an empty cage.
Edmonton knotted the game at two at 8:15 of the second period when Hall drove hard to the net and was rewarded with a nice pass from Sam Gagner before redirecting it past Reimer from in close.
The Leafs retook the lead with a power-play tally at 6:46 of the third period after Clarke MacArthur backhanded a pass off the left wing wall right to Gardiner, who one-timed it past Khabibulin from the point.
Edmonton, though, fought back to tie things at three with 4:04 to play in regulation after Eberle fought off two checkers in the slot and fired a perfect wrister high over the left shoulder of Reimer and just under the crossbar.
"We had a slow start but came back hard and played a good game," Eager said. "We had our chances to win, but unfortunately couldn't convert."
Toronto completed a season sweep of the Oilers after taking the first game of the series, 6-3 on February 6...It was Connolly's first goal since January 5...The Leafs improved to 4-3 in overtime...Toronto is 19-3-0 when leading after the first period...The Oilers finished 0-for-2 with the man advantage, while the Leafs were 1-for-3 on the power play...Toronto will face the Vancouver Canucks on Saturday, while Edmonton will host the Colorado Avalanche on Friday.
- TORONTO: 4
Final - OT
Feb 16 12:35 AM
- Toronto Goal - Tim Connolly (8), from Joffrey Lupul at 1:39.
Maple Leafs 4, Oilers 3 OT - 3:21Feb 16 12:35 AM
- TORONTO: 3
End of Regulation
Feb 16 12:31 AM
- Edmonton Goal - Jordan Eberle (25), at 15:56.
Maple Leafs 3, Oilers 3 3rd - 4:04Feb 16 12:22 AM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - Jake Gardiner (3), at 6:46.
Maple Leafs 3, Oilers 2 3rd - 13:14Feb 16 12:07 AM
- TORONTO: 2
End of 2nd
Feb 15 11:39 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Taylor Hall (20), from Sam Gagner and Andy Sutton at 8:15.
Maple Leafs 2, Oilers 2 2nd - 11:45Feb 15 11:18 PM
- TORONTO: 2
End of 1st
Feb 15 10:47 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Ben Eager (7), at 2:32.
Maple Leafs 2, Oilers 1 1st - 17:28Feb 15 10:18 PM
- Nikolai Kulemin snap shot on Nikolai Khabibulin.
Maple Leafs 2, Oilers 0 1st - 18:17Feb 15 10:17 PM
- Toronto Goal - Joffrey Lupul, at :40.
Maple Leafs 1, Oilers 0 1st - 19:20Feb 15 10:11 PM
- TORONTO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 15 10:09 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13