Flyers score seven straight to rout SabresFeb 17, 2012 - 4:58 AM
Scott Hartnell had a goal and three assists, Jakub Voracek notched a goal and an assist and Claude Giroux had five helpers for the Flyers, who scored seven unanswered goals to win for just the second time in seven games.
Ilya Bryzgalov, starting for the first time since February 7, made 27 saves to earn the victory.
"I think it's a win that happened at the right time," said Talbot. "We definitely need to build off this in the future."
Jason Pominville and Thomas Vanek both had a first-period goal for the Sabres, losers of three in a row. Jhonas Enroth stopped 15-of-18 shots before being replaced by Ryan Miller, who made 13 saves.
The first period belonged to the Sabres. Pominville opened the scoring with his third goal in as many games, emerging from behind the net and slamming home a feed from Tyler Myers just 5:15 in.
Vanek made it 2-0 at the midway point with a low slap shot from the top of the right circle, which slipped under the right pad of Bryzgalov.
"In the first I think we had control," said Pominville. "We were doing some good things. We were generating chances, we weren't giving up much."
The rest of the game belonged to the Flyers. Talbot scored less than a minute into the second, redirecting a blue-line slap shot from Braydon Coburn past Enroth
Simmonds, who took a puck off the face in warmups and was a late arrival to the Flyers' bench, put his team on top with back-to-back power play tallies.
Donning a full face mask, Simmonds stopped a Giroux shot in front of the net, turned and fired it past Enroth for the equalizer at 3:32. Then, at 6:49, he was again camped in front, and buried a rebound of a Hartnell shot for the go- ahead score.
"That's coming right from the table and having your mouth numb like that and teeth knocked around and everything else," Flyers coach Peter Laviolette said of Simmonds. "He was ready from the start."
Erik Gustafsson extended the lead at the 13:48 mark, burying a drop pass from Voracek in front for his first NHL goal.
The Flyers put the game away in the third. Talbot drove home a deft centering feed from Eric Wellwood less than four minutes in, Voracek found the back of the net with a wrist shot seconds later and Hartnell's tip-in sealed the final margin at the midway point.
Bryzgalov stopped 17 shots over the final two periods.
Giroux notched the first five-point game of his career...The Flyers have won all three meetings between the teams this season...On Thursday, Philadelphia acquired defenseman Nicklas Grossman from the Dallas Stars in exchange for a 2012 second-round pick and a 2013 third-round pick.
- BUFFALO: 2
Feb 16 9:36 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Scott Hartnell (27), at 9:25.
Sabres 2, Flyers 7 3rd - 10:35Feb 16 9:15 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Jakub Voracek (10), at 4:29.
Sabres 2, Flyers 6 3rd - 15:31Feb 16 9:06 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Maxime Talbot (16), at 3:58.
Sabres 2, Flyers 5 3rd - 16:02Feb 16 9:06 PM
- BUFFALO: 2
End of 2nd
Feb 16 8:41 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Erik Gustafsson, from Jakub Voracek and Claude Giroux at 13:48.
Sabres 2, Flyers 4 2nd - 6:12Feb 16 8:28 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Wayne Simmonds, at 6:49.
Sabres 2, Flyers 3 2nd - 13:11Feb 16 8:15 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Wayne Simmonds (19), at 3:32.
Sabres 2, Flyers 2 2nd - 16:28Feb 16 8:09 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Maxime Talbot (15), at :54.
Sabres 2, Flyers 1 2nd - 19:06Feb 16 8:03 PM
- BUFFALO: 2
End of 1st
Feb 16 7:45 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Thomas Vanek (21), at 9:30.
Sabres 2, Flyers 0 1st - 10:30Feb 16 7:26 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Jason Pominville (22), at 5:15.
Sabres 1, Flyers 0 1st - 14:45Feb 16 7:18 PM
- BUFFALO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 16 7:08 PM
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Buffalo Sabres home arena changing names to KeyBank Center May 11
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Buffalo Sabres re-sign forward Johan Larsson to 1-year deal Apr 29
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 24