Sedins lead Canucks over LeafsFeb 19, 2012 - 7:14 AM
Alexandre Burrows had two goals while Henrik Sedin posted four assists for the Canucks, who have won three straight and six of seven. Roberto Luongo stopped 24 shots in the win.
Dion Phaneuf and Nikolai Kulemin scored for the Maple Leafs, who have dropped five of six.
James Reimer started in net, but was tagged for four goals on 18 shots and pulled in the second period. Jonas Gustavsson finished the game between the pipes and allowed two goals on 18 shots.
"You can't fault James (Reimer)," Toronto head coach Ron Wilson said. "They had a number of two-on-ones when we pinched. Those are things you talk about before the game, knowing who you're playing against: No turnovers. They don't need a lot to make you pay and tonight they made us pay."
Vancouver scored first when Daniel Sedin sent a saucer pass from the right wing to the left wing where Burrows wristed it home on a rush 7:49 in.
It was 2-0 just 1:35 later on another nice play as Maxim Lapierre sent a pass from the right boards to the front where a diving Manny Malhotra was able to get a stick on it for the redirect into the net.
The Canucks took a 3-0 lead just 3:18 into the second when Burrows' wrist shot from inside the right circle went into the left corner of the net for his 22nd of the year.
Toronto got one back less than three minutes later when Phil Kessel skated into the Vancouver end down the right wing, went behind the net and out the other side before passing it back over to Phaneuf, who one-timed it home.
However, the Canucks got the goal back five minutes later when Daniel Sedin got a pass from his brother in the slot and took a stride down before slapping it in.
"We responded right away," Luongo said. "It was a key moment in the game and it was nice that the boys went right back on the other side and scored a couple of goals."
The score was 5-1 at the 12:48 mark of the second on Sami Salo's one-timer from the top of the left circle, his seventh of the season.
Kevin Bieksa scored 8:25 into the third while Kulemin lit the lamp with 19.2 seconds left to cap the scoring.
Vancouver hits the road for six games starting in Edmonton on Sunday...Toronto hosts New Jersey on Tuesday...The Canucks have won 10 straight over the Maple Leafs and have not dropped a game since November 24, 2003...Vancouver was 1- for-2 on the power play while Toronto went 0-for-2.
- TORONTO: 2
Feb 18 9:39 PM
- Toronto Goal - Nikolai Kulemin, from Luke Schenn and Clarke MacArthur at 19:40.
Maple Leafs 2, Canucks 6 3rd - 0:20Feb 18 9:37 PM
- TORONTO: 1
3rd Period - 10:51
Maple Leafs 1, Canucks 6 3rd - 10:51Feb 18 9:18 PM
- TORONTO: 1
End of 2nd
Feb 18 8:47 PM
- Vancouver Power-Play Goal - Sami Salo (7), from Daniel Sedin and Henrik Sedin at 12:48.
Maple Leafs 1, Canucks 5 2nd - 7:12Feb 18 8:33 PM
- Daniel Sedin shot on James Reimer.
Maple Leafs 1, Canucks 3 2nd - 8:46Feb 18 8:28 PM
- Toronto Goal - Dion Phaneuf (9), at 6:02.
Maple Leafs 1, Canucks 3 2nd - 13:58Feb 18 8:18 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Alexandre Burrows (22), from Daniel Sedin and Henrik Sedin at 3:18.
Maple Leafs 0, Canucks 3 2nd - 16:42Feb 18 8:13 PM
- TORONTO: 0
End of 1st
Feb 18 7:50 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Byron Bitz (2), at 9:16.
Maple Leafs 0, Canucks 2 1st - 10:44Feb 18 7:31 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Alexandre Burrows (21), from Daniel Sedin at 7:49.
Maple Leafs 0, Canucks 1 1st - 12:11Feb 18 7:26 PM
- TORONTO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 18 7:15 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Canucks sign goalie Thatcher Demko to entry-level contract Apr 20
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Canucks sign North Dakota defenseman Troy Stecher Apr 13
- Capitals finally able to turn attention to playoffs Apr 11
- Etem scores shootout winner as Canucks beat Oilers 4-3 Apr 10
- Henrique scores 2, Devils beat Leafs in season finale Apr 9