Miller backstops Sabres over IslandersFeb 22, 2012 - 6:00 AM
Tyler Myers and Thomas Vanek both scored while Derek Roy and Jason Pominville had two assists apiece for the Sabres. They have won two straight following an 0-3-1 stretch.
"We played a really good game tonight," said Roy. "From the goalie out we worked hard and we were really disciplined."
Frans Nielsen had a third-period goal and Kevin Poulin stopped 35 shots for the Islanders, who were coming off of Monday's 6-0 loss to the Senators. Head coach Jack Capuano and No. 1 goalie Evgeni Nabokov were both out with the flu.
"We had a close game today and I think we had some good opportunities at the end," said Poulin. "I think we have to build on it."
Nielsen cut into the Sabres 2-0 lead with just over five minutes remaining, receiving a pass from P.A. Parenteau and burying a slap shot from the left circle. The Islanders, though, could get no closer.
Myers staked Buffalo to an early advantage, slamming home a rebound amidst a scrum in front of the net just 1:21 into the game.
Roy set up Vanek early in the second. He sat behind the net, surveying, before sending the puck out front, where a waiting Vanek sent it home from between the circles for a 2-0 advantage at the 3:41 mark.
Miller, meanwhile, made 14 saves in the first, six in the second and 10 in the third.
Pominville has six goals and six assists in his last nine games...Nabokov has missed four straight with the flu...Doug Weight acted as interim coach in Capuano's absence...This was the fourth and final meeting between the teams this season. The Islanders took the season series, 2-1-1.
- NEW YORK: 1
Feb 21 9:30 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Frans Nielsen (13), from P.A. Parenteau and Kevin Poulin at 14:52.
Islanders 1, Sabres 2 3rd - 5:08Feb 21 9:21 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 2nd
Feb 21 8:37 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Thomas Vanek (22), from Derek Roy and Jason Pominville at 3:41.
Islanders 0, Sabres 2 2nd - 16:19Feb 21 8:06 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Feb 21 7:47 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Tyler Myers (6), at 1:21.
Islanders 0, Sabres 1 1st - 18:39Feb 21 7:10 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 21 7:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Buffalo Sabres home arena changing names to KeyBank Center May 11
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7