Fayne's OT goal lifts Devils over Maple LeafsFeb 22, 2012 - 5:14 AM
In the extra session, Fayne one-timed a shot from the right point that took a bounce and went off the arm of Jonas Gustavsson and into the net for the win.
"It just skipped there a little bit and I kind of lost it," said Gustavsson. "That's no excuse because I should have stopped it. It's too bad and I feel bad for the guys because they worked really hard out there."
Petr Sykora had a goal and an assist while Martin Brodeur stopped 29 shots for the Devils, who have won four straight and nine of 11.
"We battled really hard," said Brodeur. "We allowed few chances, we blocked a lot of shots. It was a good road game for us. We were able to pull it off, we got a lucky bounce on our side on the game winner."
Tim Connolly, Clarke MacArthur and Phil Kessel all scored for the Maple Leafs, who have dropped six of their last seven. Kessel tied the game in the final minute of regulation. Gustavsson allowed four goals on 32 shots.
The Devils scored the first two goals of the game and the first came at the 9:44 mark of the opening frame after Sykora threw a shot on net from the left circle that was stopped. He grabbed his own rebound and lifted a backhand in.
Less than five minutes later, David Clarkson brought the puck into the Toronto end down the right wing and from the circle, with two men covering him, he got a shot on net that fooled Gustavsson.
The Maple Leafs, though, got one back moments later as Cody Franson's shot from the right point was tipped in by Connolly at the right side of the net.
Toronto tied the game with 5:17 to play in the second as Nikolai Kulemin sent a backhand pass from the left circle down to the low slot, where MacArthur brought it from the backhand to the forehand and chipped it in.
However, the Devils took a 3-2 lead into the final period after Alex Ponikarovsky skated the puck out from the right boards to the inside right circle and snuck a low wrist shot into the net with 1:49 left in the second.
The Maple Leafs tied the game late with the goaltender pulled. Tyler Bozak attempted to center the puck as he went around the net, but it hit off a couple of Devils. However, it sat at the right side and Kessel was able to swipe it in with 43.5 seconds to play.
New Jersey hosts Vancouver on Friday...Toronto hosts San Jose on Thursday...The Devils have won two of three, both in overtime, against the Maple Leafs this season...New Jersey was 0-for-3 on the power play while Toronto went 0-for-2.
- NEW JERSEY: 4
Final - OT
Feb 21 9:39 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Mark Fayne (4), from Adam Henrique and Ilya Kovalchuk at 1:18.
Devils 4, Maple Leafs 3 OT - 3:42Feb 21 9:39 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 3
End of Regulation
Feb 21 9:35 PM
- Toronto Goal - Phil Kessel (31), from Tyler Bozak and Joffrey Lupul at 19:16.
Devils 3, Maple Leafs 3 3rd - 0:44Feb 21 9:33 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 3
End of 2nd
Feb 21 8:41 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Alexei Ponikarovsky (11), at 18:10.
Devils 3, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 1:50Feb 21 8:38 PM
- Toronto Goal - Clarke MacArthur (18), from Nikolai Kulemin and Mikhail Grabovski at 14:43.
Devils 2, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 5:17Feb 21 8:31 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 2
End of 1st
Feb 21 7:44 PM
- Toronto Goal - Tim Connolly, at 14:32.
Devils 2, Maple Leafs 1 1st - 5:28Feb 21 7:32 PM
- New Jersey Goal - David Clarkson (23), at 14:16.
Devils 2, Maple Leafs 0 1st - 5:44Feb 21 7:31 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Petr Sykora (14), from Adam Henrique and Matt Taormina at 9:44.
Devils 1, Maple Leafs 0 1st - 10:16Feb 21 7:23 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 21 7:09 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Devils make progress under Hynes, still miss playoffs Apr 11