Rangers clip Sabres in OTFeb 26, 2012 - 5:12 AM New York, NY (Sports Network) - Ryan Callahan's 100th career goal came with 2:01 left in overtime to give the New York Rangers a 3-2 win over the Buffalo Sabres.
In the extra session, Ryan McDonagh received a pass from Callahan and skated the puck into the Buffalo zone up the middle. He passed it over to the top of the right circle where a skating Callahan kicked it to his stick, slid the puck under the stick of a defender then snapped a forehand past Ryan Miller.
Carl Hagelin had a goal and an assist, while Marian Gaborik also scored for the Rangers, who had dropped three of four coming in. Henrik Lundqvist stopped 18 shots in the win.
"I thought we played good throughout the game," said Callahan. "Momentum shifted back and forth there, but I thought we stayed even-keeled and kept our heads together."
Drew Stafford scored both goals for the Sabres, who had won three straight coming in. Miller gave up three goals on 28 shots.
"Our guys mis-connected on a few plays there and that was the difference," said Miller.
Buffalo grabbed a 1-0 lead with 6:31 left in the first as Tyler Ennis caught up with the puck in the right corner and centered it for a cutting Stafford, who got a stick on the puck to deflect it past Lundqvist.
The Rangers tied the game 7:38 into the second when Hagelin's wraparound from the right side hit off Miller's stick then slid between his legs.
Stafford gave his team a 2-1 lead when he received a pass behind the defense in the New York end and snapped a wrister past Lundqvist 44 seconds into the third on the power play.
Gaborik, though, tied the contests just under five minutes later when he received the puck behind the defenders along the left wing and shifted to the front before putting a backhand in.
The goal was Callahan's 24th of the season, a new career-high...Buffalo has off until Wednesday when it will begin a four-game road trip in Anaheim....The Rangers host the Devils on Monday...The Rangers have taken all three games against the Sabres this season...Earlier on Saturday, the Rangers traded forward Wojtek Wolski to Florida for defenseman Michael Vernace and a 2013 third round drat pick.
- BUFFALO: 2
NEW YORK: 3
Final - OT
Feb 25 9:39 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Ryan Callahan (24), at 2:59.
Sabres 2, Rangers 3 OT - 2:01Feb 25 9:38 PM
- BUFFALO: 2
NEW YORK: 2
End of Regulation
Feb 25 9:34 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Marian Gaborik (29), at 5:32.
Sabres 2, Rangers 2 3rd - 14:28Feb 25 9:05 PM
- Buffalo Power-Play Goal - Drew Stafford (12), at :44.
Sabres 2, Rangers 1 3rd - 19:16Feb 25 8:55 PM
- BUFFALO: 1
NEW YORK: 1
End of 2nd
Feb 25 8:36 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Brad Richards (19), at 7:38.
Sabres 1, Rangers 1 2nd - 12:22Feb 25 8:14 PM
- BUFFALO: 1
NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Feb 25 7:45 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Drew Stafford (11), at 13:29.
Sabres 1, Rangers 0 1st - 6:31Feb 25 7:33 PM
- BUFFALO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 25 7:08 PM
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- Buffalo Sabres home arena changing names to KeyBank Center May 11
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Buffalo Sabres re-sign forward Johan Larsson to 1-year deal Apr 29
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Apr 26
- Penguins goaltender Fleury still dealing with concussion Apr 25
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25