Weiss lifts Florida past Carolina in SOFeb 26, 2012 - 4:23 AM Raleigh, NC (Sports Network) - Stephen Weiss scored the game-winning goal in the third round of the shootout, as the Florida Panthers rallied to take a 3-2 victory over the Carolina Hurricanes at RBC Center.
Weiss picked up the puck and went in on goal with speed. He made a quick move to his backhand and squeezed the puck through the pads of Hurricanes' netminder Justin Peters.
"Half the time, when I have something in mind, I talk myself out of it halfway down," Weiss said of his shootout routine. "I just do whatever comes to mind."
Jose Theodore stopped 2-of-3 shooters in the shootout and made 26 saves in to record the win.
Wojtek Wolski, who was acquired by the Panthers earlier on Saturday from the New York Rangers, and Tomas Fleischmann scored for Florida, which snapped a four-game losing streak and moved back into a first place tie with the Winnipeg Jets in the Southeast Division.
Justin Faulk and Jussi Jokinen scored and Peters made 42 saves in defeat for the Hurricanes, who have dropped three of their last four.
Trailing 2-0 after two periods, the Panthers scored two goals in the final six minutes of regulation to tie the game.
Holding the puck at the left point, Keaton Ellerby sent a pass down the boards to Kris Versteeg, who looked up and spotted Fleischmann for a one-timer from right circle to pull Florida within a goal.
The Panthers tied the game with just 1:47 left when Wolski collected the puck in the neutral zone, gained the zone on the right wing, cut to the middle and ripped a wrister from the slot that got through traffic and past Peters.
Skating with the man advantage, Carolina struck first with just 1:59 to play in the opening stanza. Eric Staal outworked two checkers in the right corner and found Faulk, who ripped a one-timer past Theodore.
Carolina extended its lead to 2-0 at 17:32 of the second period when Jeff Skinner corralled a loose disc behind the net, came around and sent a centering pass to Jokinen, who rammed it home from in close.
"Our guys are playing as hard as they can," Hurricanes head coach Kirk Muller said, "As a coach, you can't ask much more than that. They're playing their hearts out."
Florida has taken all three meetings between the teams this season...Carolina fell to 6-6-2 this season when wearing its alternate black jersey...The Hurricanes converted 1-of-2 power play chances, while Florida went 0-for-2 with the man advantage.
- FLORIDA: 2
Final - 2OT
Feb 25 9:51 PM
- FLORIDA: 2
End of OT
Feb 25 9:44 PM
- FLORIDA: 2
End of Regulation
Feb 25 9:33 PM
- Florida Goal - Jerred Smithson, from Wojtek Wolski at 18:13.
Panthers 2, Hurricanes 2 3rd - 1:47Feb 25 9:29 PM
- Florida Goal - Tomas Fleischmann (20), from Kris Versteeg and Keaton Ellerby at 13:58.
Panthers 1, Hurricanes 2 3rd - 6:02Feb 25 9:19 PM
- Tomas Fleischmann snap shot on Justin Peters.
Panthers 0, Hurricanes 2 3rd - 6:02Feb 25 9:18 PM
- Florida Goal - Tomas Fleischmann (20), at 13:58.
Panthers 1, Hurricanes 2 3rd - 6:02Feb 25 9:18 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jussi Jokinen (9), from Jeff Skinner at 17:32.
Panthers 0, Hurricanes 2 2nd - 2:28Feb 25 8:34 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
End of 1st
Feb 25 7:46 PM
- Carolina Power-Play Goal - Justin Faulk (7), from Eric Staal and Jerome Samson at 18:01.
Panthers 0, Hurricanes 1 1st - 1:59Feb 25 7:43 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 25 7:11 PM
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26
- Panthers came far in 2015-16, now eyeing the future Apr 25
- Islanders advance to second round for first time since 1993 Apr 25
- Islanders beat Panthers 2-1 in 2OTs to end playoff drought Apr 25