St. Louis sparks Lightning over DevilsFeb 26, 2012 - 10:18 PM
"After looking at yesterday's results, the scoring chances yesterday were 25-16 for us," Tampa Bay head coach Guy Boucher said of the Penguins' loss. "...Did we really get our butts kicked? No. Did it really not turn for us yesterday? Yes."
Matt Gilroy also tallied for the Lightning, who finished 1-2 on their three- game road trip. Mathieu Garon made 19 saves in the win.
Alexei Ponikarovsky, Petr Sykora and Zach Parise lit the lamp for the Devils, who have lost two straight since winning four consecutive games. New Jersey is still an impressive 9-3-1 since the All-Star break, but have dropped four of its past five home games.
Martin Brodeur allowed four goals on 16 shots for New Jersey.
The Devils headed into the final period trailing by a goal, but Sykora's one- timer from the right circle off Steve Bernier's feed tied the game at two early in the frame.
The Lightning, though, quickly regained the advantage 41 seconds later at the 3:09 mark. From the left circle, St. Louis sent a pass in front for Gilroy, who put it home from the crease.
St. Louis completed his hat trick midway through the period, giving the Bolts a two-goal cushion.
He sent a pass around the boards from the left side, which was corralled by Teddy Purcell at the right point. St. Louis positioned himself in the slot and tipped in Purcell's wrister.
Parise's power-play tally with 2:35 to play made it a 4-3 game, and New Jersey was given hope as St. Louis was called for a tripping penalty with a minute left.
But Tampa Bay killed off the 6-on-4 advantage, leaving the Garden State with a much needed victory.
The Devils struck first at the 12:07 mark of the first. Ponikarovsky stripped Ryan Malone in his own zone and lifted his wrister past Garon from the slot.
St. Louis netted a pair of tallies in the second.
He ripped his wrister into the upper-left corner from the slot at the 6:39 mark, and then gave the Bolts the lead late in the period with a wrister on the man advantage.
"The start was good, then we fell asleep in the second and they took advantage," New Jersey forward Ilya Kovalchuk said.
Marek Zidlicky made his debut for New Jersey on Sunday. On Friday, the Devils acquired the defenseman from Minnesota in exchange for forwards Nick Palmieri and Stephane Veilleux, defenseman Kurtis Foster, a second-round pick in 2012 and a conditional third-round pick in 2013. Zidlicky compiled 14 assists in 41 games with Minnesota this season...Tampa Bay improved to 10-19-4 on the road this year...New Jersey fell to 23-9-3 when scoring the first goal.
- TAMPA BAY: 4
NEW JERSEY: 3
Feb 26 3:30 PM
- New Jersey Power-Play Goal - Zach Parise (23), from Ilya Kovalchuk and Patrik Elias at 17:25.
Lightning 4, Devils 3 3rd - 2:35Feb 26 3:23 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Martin St. Louis (22), at 10:18.
Lightning 4, Devils 2 3rd - 9:42Feb 26 3:07 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Matt Gilroy (2), from Martin St. Louis and Teddy Purcell at 3:09.
Lightning 3, Devils 2 3rd - 16:51Feb 26 2:57 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Petr Sykora (15), from Steve Bernier and Dainius Zubrus at 2:28.
Lightning 2, Devils 2 3rd - 17:32Feb 26 2:56 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 2
NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 2nd
Feb 26 2:35 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Martin St. Louis (21), at 14:55.
Lightning 2, Devils 1 2nd - 5:05Feb 26 2:25 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Martin St. Louis (20), from Steven Stamkos and Mathieu Garon at 6:39.
Lightning 1, Devils 1 2nd - 13:21Feb 26 2:09 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 1st
Feb 26 1:43 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Alexei Ponikarovsky (12), at 12:07.
Lightning 0, Devils 1 1st - 7:53Feb 26 1:29 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 26 1:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17