Weiss leads Panthers over HabsFeb 27, 2012 - 3:43 AM
Sean Bergenheim also tallied and added two helpers for the Panthers, who snapped their four-game home losing streak. Florida, which hasn't made the playoffs since 2000, moved two points ahead of Winnipeg for sole possession of first place in the Southeast division.
Scott Clemmensen stopped 18-of-20 shots in the win.
David Desharnais and P.K. Subban lit the lamp for Montreal, which has lost four straight and six of its last seven. Peter Budaj made 28 saves in defeat.
"This losing streak is not easy on anybody," Montreal coach Randy Cunneyworth said. "The one thing you have to do is have a little pride and you have to keep working hard. You have to pull together."
After the Canadiens jumped out to a quick 2-0 advantage 6:55 into the contest, the Panthers stormed back with four unanswered goals.
Weiss' first tally made it a 2-1 game midway through the first. Keaton Ellerby sent a wrister on net from the left point and Weiss was in front to put home the rebound.
Bergenheim flew up the left wing and lifted his wrister past Budaj on the short side to tie the game at two early in the second.
Weiss' go-ahead goal came at the 4:01 mark of the second. Mikael Samuelsson threw a shot on net from a sharp angle on the right side, and Weiss once again put home the rebound.
"It's just a matter of the puck laying there for you to be able to tap it in. It's nice to get a couple bounces," Weiss said of his rebound goals.
Campbell made it 4-2 midway through the third with a slap shot from the high point.
Desharnais' wrister and Subban's power-play goal accounted for Montreal's two tallies in the first period.
Florida moved to 15-8-8 on its home ice this season, while Montreal's road record dropped to 13-15-2...Weiss' assist was his 30th of the season...After putting 10 shots on net in the opening period, Montreal mustered just 10 shots on goal in the final two periods.
- MONTREAL: 2
Feb 26 7:38 PM
- Florida Goal - Brian Campbell, at 9:52.
Canadiens 2, Panthers 4 3rd - 10:08Feb 26 7:16 PM
- MONTREAL: 2
End of 2nd
Feb 26 6:43 PM
- Mikael Samuelsson wrist shot on Peter Budaj.
Canadiens 2, Panthers 3 2nd - 16:01Feb 26 6:12 PM
- Florida Power-Play Goal - Sean Bergenheim (14), from Mikael Samuelsson at 1:09.
Canadiens 2, Panthers 2 2nd - 18:51Feb 26 6:07 PM
- MONTREAL: 2
End of 1st
Feb 26 5:48 PM
- Florida Goal - Stephen Weiss (14), at 11:36.
Canadiens 2, Panthers 1 1st - 8:24Feb 26 5:30 PM
- Montreal Power-Play Goal - P.K. Subban (4), at 6:55.
Canadiens 2, Panthers 0 1st - 13:05Feb 26 5:22 PM
- Brian Campbell slap shot is wide.
Canadiens 1, Panthers 0 1st - 14:39Feb 26 5:16 PM
- MONTREAL: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 26 5:08 PM
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26
- Panthers came far in 2015-16, now eyeing the future Apr 25
- Islanders advance to second round for first time since 1993 Apr 25