Oilers outlast JetsFeb 28, 2012 - 5:22 AM
Ryan Whitney, Jordan Eberle and Ryan Jones all scored for the Oilers, who have won three of their last four. Devan Dubnyk stopped 27-of-30 shots in the win.
"I like the way we handled the game," said Edmonton head coach Tom Renney. "But, certainly the way we came out in the third period and handled things was very nice."
Alexander Burmistrov and Nik Antropov each notched a goal and an assist for the Jets, who have dropped three of four. Ondrej Pavelec gave up all five goals on 25 shots in defeat.
"We look like a tired team," said Winnipeg head coach Claude Noel. "We look like an emotionally drained team. And we looked like it from start to end."
Winnipeg held the initial lead in the game when Kyle Wellwood snuck in down the left side for a backdoor one-timer off a pass from Antropov for a power- play goal with 4:15 left in the second.
Edmonton tied the game with 1:47 to play thanks to a power-play marker of its own as Whitney's shot from the high slot found its way in, but the Jets took a 2-1 lead into the third as Dustin Byfuglien forced a turnover in the Edmonton end and, from the right wing, passed it over to the left where Burmistrov tapped it home with 32.7 seconds to play in the frame.
The Oilers, though, scored four unanswered in the third to take control.
The first goal came just 1:54 in on the power play on a tic-tac-toe play that saw Jones finish it off in front as he put in his own rebound.
Edmonton took its first lead of the game 35 seconds later when Petrell picked up a turnover and skated down the right wing before sneaking a low shot past Pavelec.
It was a 4-2 game near the midway mark after Petrell's shot from the slot was redirected into the net by Hall and Eberle scored on a breakaway with 2:26 to play for a three-goal edge.
Antropov scored with 1:10 to play to account for the final score.
Edmonton's Ryan Smyth assisted on Eberle's goal. It was the 800th point of his career...Edmonton hosts St. Louis on Wednesday...Winnipeg hosts Florida on Thursday...Edmonton went 2-for-3 on the power play while Winnipeg was 1- for-3...Edmonton acquired defenseman Nick Schultz from the Minnesota Wild on Monday for defenseman Tom Gilbert...The Jets shipped defenseman Johnny Oduya to Chicago on Monday from a second and third round pick in 2013.
- EDMONTON: 5
Feb 27 11:07 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Nik Antropov (9), from Evander Kane at 18:50.
Oilers 5, Jets 3 3rd - 1:10Feb 27 11:05 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Jordan Eberle (28), from Ryan Smyth and Ladislav Smid at 17:34.
Oilers 5, Jets 2 3rd - 2:26Feb 27 11:01 PM
- EDMONTON: 4
3rd Period - 10:36
Oilers 4, Jets 2 3rd - 10:36Feb 27 10:43 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Lennart Petrell (4), at 2:29.
Oilers 3, Jets 2 3rd - 17:31Feb 27 10:31 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Ryan Jones (14), from Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Ales Hemsky at 1:54.
Oilers 2, Jets 2 3rd - 18:06Feb 27 10:29 PM
- EDMONTON: 1
End of 2nd
Feb 27 10:08 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Alexander Burmistrov (13), from Dustin Byfuglien at 19:27.
Oilers 1, Jets 2 2nd - 0:33Feb 27 10:06 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Ryan Whitney (2), from Taylor Hall at 18:13.
Oilers 1, Jets 1 2nd - 1:47Feb 27 10:03 PM
- Winnipeg Power-Play Goal at 15:45.
Oilers 0, Jets 1 2nd - 4:15Feb 27 9:57 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
End of 1st
Feb 27 9:12 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 27 8:38 PM
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Sharks look to forget past playoff collapse against Kings Apr 11
- Etem scores shootout winner as Canucks beat Oilers 4-3 Apr 10