Leafs beat Habs; Carlyle's debut a successMar 4, 2012 - 3:03 AM Montreal, QC (Sports Network) - Mikhail Grabovski scored twice in the final eight-plus minutes of regulation as Toronto snapped a six-game losing streak with a 3-1 victory over Montreal at Bell Centre.
Matt Frattin added the other tally for the Maple Leafs, who rallied to win for new head coach Randy Carlyle, hired on Friday after Ron Wilson was fired in the wake of a 1-9-1 stretch.
Jonas Gustavsson stopped 21-of-22 shots.
Erik Cole's first-period goal was all the offense for the Canadiens, who have dropped six of their last seven.
Carey Price played well in defeat, making 39 saves.
Grabovski's high wrister from between the circles with 8:15 left in regulation put the Leafs ahead 2-1.
Despite the one-goal deficit, Price did not leave the bench for an extra skater in the final minute. Cole was whistled for interference with 59 seconds to play and Frattin fed Grabovski for the insurance tally shortly into the advantage.
It was an inauspicious start for the visitors, as Cole lifted a rebound over a diving Gustavsson at the 7:16 mark of the first period.
But Toronto equalized 6 1/2 minutes into the second period. Grabovski won a right-circle draw, then while falling forward pushed the puck to Frattin for a quick one-timer.
Carlyle went 273-182-61 over 516 games with the Ducks from 2005 until this past November 30...Toronto has won three of five meetings against Montreal this season with one final matchup scheduled for the Bell Centre on April 7.
- TORONTO: 3
Mar 3 9:42 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - Mikhail Grabovski (20), from Matt Frattin and Dion Phaneuf at 19:07.
Maple Leafs 3, Canadiens 1 3rd - 0:53Mar 3 9:38 PM
- Toronto Goal - Mikhail Grabovski (19), at 11:45.
Maple Leafs 2, Canadiens 1 3rd - 8:15Mar 3 9:21 PM
- TORONTO: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 3 8:43 PM
- Toronto Goal - Matt Frattin (6), from Mikhail Grabovski at 6:30.
Maple Leafs 1, Canadiens 1 2nd - 13:30Mar 3 8:20 PM
- TORONTO: 0
End of 1st
Mar 3 7:48 PM
- Montreal Goal - Erik Cole (23), from David Desharnais and Max Pacioretty at 7:16.
Maple Leafs 0, Canadiens 1 1st - 12:44Mar 3 7:27 PM
- TORONTO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 3 7:16 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Former Canadiens coach Jacques Demers improving after stroke Apr 15
- Fighting the bear: John Scott demonstrates a hockey fight Apr 14
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13