Fleury, Penguins blow past AvalancheMar 4, 2012 - 5:44 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Marc-Andre Fleury made 35 saves to help the Pittsburgh Penguins take a 5-1 win over the Colorado Avalanche at Pepsi Center.
Steve Sullivan, Deryk Engelland, Richard Park, Arron Asham and Evgeni Malkin each had a goal for the Penguins, who have won five straight.
"It was good to get some shots on me early, it got me into the game," said Fleury. "Getting those early goals always helps you relax back there."
Matt Hunwick scored for the Avalanche, who have dropped their past two. Jean- Sebastien Giguere allowed all four goals on 27 shots in the loss.
"This was a playoff-like game tonight and we are taking every game like it's a must-win from now on," said Giguere. "Unfortunately we didn't have enough in the tank tonight. We just can't give up the chances that we gave up tonight."
The Pens got on the board 7:55 into the game when Asham blasted a shot from the right circle that beat Giguere inside the right post.
Engelland's goal just over a minute later made it a 2-0 game and Malkin extended that lead to three at the 5:30 mark of the second when he banged in a rebound of a James Neal shot from the left side.
Coming out of the penalty box, Park caught up to the puck behind the defense and buried his breakaway between the pads of Giguere.
Hunwick scored at the 8:58 mark of the third to get Colorado on the board, but that was as close as it got and Sullivan scored into the empty net with 1:26 to play.
Pittsburgh returns home to face Phoenix on Monday...Colorado plays in Minnesota on Sunday...The Penguins have won four straight over the Avalanche...Colorado was 0-for-4 on the power play while Pittsburgh was 0- for-3.
- PITTSBURGH: 5
Mar 3 11:35 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Steve Sullivan (13), from Brooks Orpik at 18:33.
Penguins 5, Avalanche 1 3rd - 1:27Mar 3 11:32 PM
- Colorado Goal - Matt Hunwick (2), from Paul Stastny and Gabriel Landeskog at 8:58.
Penguins 4, Avalanche 1 3rd - 11:02Mar 3 11:18 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 4
End of 2nd
Mar 3 10:43 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Richard Park (6), at 9:02.
Penguins 4, Avalanche 0 2nd - 10:58Mar 3 10:22 PM
- Matt Duchene wrist shot on Marc-Andre Fleury.
Penguins 3, Avalanche 0 2nd - 13:26Mar 3 10:16 PM
- James Neal deflected shot hit the goalpost.
Penguins 2, Avalanche 0 2nd - 14:30Mar 3 10:12 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Evgeni Malkin (38), at 5:30.
Penguins 3, Avalanche 0 2nd - 14:30Mar 3 10:12 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 2
End of 1st
Mar 3 9:49 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Deryk Engelland (4), at 9:17.
Penguins 2, Avalanche 0 1st - 10:43Mar 3 9:26 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Arron Asham (3), at 7:54.
Penguins 1, Avalanche 0 1st - 12:06Mar 3 9:24 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 3 9:12 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17