Seguin, Caron help Bruins down Maple LeafsMar 7, 2012 - 7:14 AM
Jordan Caron also scored twice and added an assist, while Tim Thomas made 25 saves to help halt the Bruins' two-game slide.
John-Michael Liles and Phil Kessel both scored on the power play for Toronto, which fell to 0-5 against the Northeast Division leaders this season. Jonas Gustavsson allowed five goals on 33 shots in defeat.
"You've got enough goals to win the hockey game," said Toronto head coach Randy Carlyle. "It's the defensive aspect of it that needs to be improved upon."
Mikhail Grabovski, who signed a five-year, $27.5 million contract extension Monday night, cut the Leafs' deficit to 5-4 with 6:47 remaining in the contest when he snuck behind Boston's defense, corralled Clarke MacArthur's outlet pass and netted his 21st goal of the season.
The hosts were unable to capitalize on a pair of power play chances after the goal, however, eventually losing for the seventh time in eight games.
"We worked hard tonight," said Thomas.
Toronto defenseman Carl Gunnarsson scored on a wrister from between the circles three minutes into the game, only to be answered by Caron's chip-in from in front at the 13:58 mark of the opening period.
Liles scored on a rebound 57 seconds into the second, but Seguin and Chris Kelly lit the lamp 41 seconds apart a little later to give Boston its first lead. Seguin redirected a shot from a charging Zdeno Chara at 2:02, and Kelly put in a rebound on the next shift.
Toronto capitalized on a two-man advantage midway through the frame, as Kessel's wrister from the left circle trickled past Thomas.
But Chara fed Caron with a brilliant cross-ice feed for an easy tip-in at the 13:34 mark, and Seguin's one-timer less than three minutes later proved to be the difference.
Toronto has lost six straight at home...Benoit Pouliot, as well as Chara, had two assists for Boston...Toronto visits the Penguins on Wednesday, while the Bruins get a day off before hosting the Sabres.
- BOSTON: 5
Mar 6 9:33 PM
- Toronto Goal - Mikhail Grabovski (21), at 13:13.
Bruins 5, Maple Leafs 4 3rd - 6:47Mar 6 9:19 PM
- BOSTON: 5
End of 2nd
Mar 6 8:41 PM
- Boston Goal - Tyler Seguin (24), at 16:09.
Bruins 5, Maple Leafs 3 2nd - 3:51Mar 6 8:35 PM
- Boston Goal - Jordan Caron (6), from Zdeno Chara and Patrice Bergeron at 13:33.
Bruins 4, Maple Leafs 3 2nd - 6:27Mar 6 8:29 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - Phil Kessel (33), at 9:52.
Bruins 3, Maple Leafs 3 2nd - 10:08Mar 6 8:22 PM
- Patrice Bergeron snap shot is wide.
Bruins 3, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 15:35Mar 6 8:09 PM
- Boston Goal - Zdeno Chara (10), at 2:01.
Bruins 2, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 17:59Mar 6 8:05 PM
- Toronto Goal - John-Michael Liles, at :57.
Bruins 1, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 19:03Mar 6 8:01 PM
- BOSTON: 1
End of 1st
Mar 6 7:43 PM
- Boston Goal - Jordan Caron (5), at 13:58.
Bruins 1, Maple Leafs 1 1st - 6:02Mar 6 7:32 PM
- Toronto Goal - Carl Gunnarsson (3), at 3:00.
Bruins 0, Maple Leafs 1 1st - 17:00Mar 6 7:13 PM
- BOSTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 6 7:07 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Bergeron, Kesler, Kopitar are Selke Trophy finalists Apr 28
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Bruins opt to retain coach Julien for another season Apr 14
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Tortorella: Don't ask NHL coaches to fix stagnant scoring Apr 12