Another Bryzgalov SO helps Flyers subdue PanthersMar 9, 2012 - 5:00 AM
Bryzgalov improved to 7-2-1 with three blankings over his last 11 starts, and recorded his 27th career shutout.
Thursday's victory marked Philadelphia's first home shutout of Florida since a 2-0 win on October 24, 1999 and proved to be the club's first regular-season regulation shutout at home since a 2-0 decision over the Rangers on January 21, 2010.
Bryzgalov credited his teammates.
"I think all 60 minutes was a great effort by the team not only just the last five minutes. They played the whole game diving for the pucks to blocking to protecting the passing lanes. They tried to make my job as easy as possible," he said.
"I think it was an unbelievable team effort tonight," Bryzgalov continued. "That's why we had success tonight. This is all part of the team job, the shutout, the team deserved it."
Brayden Schenn, Matt Read, Scott Hartnell, Jaromir Jagr and Eric Wellwood all lit the lamp for the Flyers, who have won four in a row and six of eight.
Jose Theodore allowed five goals on 35 shots for the Panthers, who have lost three of four.
The Flyers got on the board with 9:25 to play in the opening period, thanks to a bit of unexpected luck. Claude Giroux's pass into the slot was intended for Hartnell, and though he totally fanned on the shot, Schenn was there in the right circle to sweep it home.
Read doubled the advantage when his poke through a goalmouth scramble slid home at 3:06 of the second period.
Hartnell atoned for his earlier gaffe and made it 3-0 on a breakaway down the left wing culminating in a wrister just under the crossbar with 7:11 to play in the second.
Jagr beat Theodore from between the circles on a power play at the 2:35 mark of the third, and Wellwood broke free up the middle off an Erik Gustafsson dish for a 5-0 game with 1:27 to play.
"It's tough. Composure seems to be an issue at times for us," said Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen. "Our special teams were ineffective in the first period. You gotta find a way to score goals."
Philadelphia forward Danny Briere played in his 800th NHL contest, but his goal drought extended to 21 games...Flyers forward Jakub Voracek did not play due to an upper-body injury suffered on Tuesday and defenseman Pavel Kubina sat out with a lower-body issue...Philly GM Paul Holmgren revealed before the game that winger James van Riemsdyk's foot surgery was successful and that the timeline of 4-6 weeks is still accurate...To offset some of the injury issues, the Flyers recalled forward Harry Zolnierczyk and defenseman Brandon Manning from Adirondack (AHL)...The Panthers scratched forward Kris Versteeg.
- FLORIDA: 0
Mar 8 9:31 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Eric Wellwood (3), from Erik Gustafsson at 18:33.
Panthers 0, Flyers 5 3rd - 1:27Mar 8 9:29 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Jaromir Jagr, at 2:35.
Panthers 0, Flyers 4 3rd - 17:25Mar 8 8:57 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
End of 2nd
Mar 8 8:35 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Scott Hartnell, at 12:49.
Panthers 0, Flyers 3 2nd - 7:11Mar 8 8:22 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Matt Read (19), at 3:06.
Panthers 0, Flyers 2 2nd - 16:54Mar 8 8:02 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
End of 1st
Mar 8 7:41 PM
- Tomas Fleischmann shot blocked by Nicklas Grossmann.
Panthers 0, Flyers 1 1st - 8:24Mar 8 7:27 PM
- Scott Hartnell snap shot on Jose Theodore.
Panthers 0, Flyers 0 1st - 9:33Mar 8 7:25 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Brayden Schenn (9), at 10:35.
Panthers 0, Flyers 1 1st - 9:25Mar 8 7:25 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 8 7:09 PM
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26