Kovalchuk's hat trick lifts Devils over IslandersMar 9, 2012 - 5:44 AM
Patrik Elias posted a goal and an assist while Martin Brodeur stopped 29 shots for the Devils, who have won three of four.
"The guys were doing great setting me up tonight," said Kovalchuk. "They're the ones who deserve all of the credit, but it sure is nice to be scoring goals again and winning games."
New Jersey sits in sixth place in the Eastern Conference, two points back of Philadelphia.
Andrew MacDonald scored the lone goal for the Islanders, who had won their previous two. Evgeni Nabokov was tagged for all five goals on 20 shots in the loss.
"We moved the puck and kept it simple, but the wheels fell off in the third," said MacDonald. "It's tough to see something like that this time of the year."
Kovalchuk got the scoring started 8:07 in when he backhanded home the rebound off his own one-timer from the low, left side.
It was 2-0 3:33 into the second off a power-play goal as a nice passing play saw Elias send it from the right corner to the high slot, where Marek Zidlicky fired it over to the left circle and Kovalchuk one-timed it in.
MacDonald got his squad on the board with 3:39 to play in the middle stanza as his shot of a bouncing puck from behind the goal line at the left side hit off the arm of Brodeur and went in.
The Devils, though, got the goal back 7:05 into the third when Elias knocked in his second chance from in front of the net for his 23rd of the year.
Kovalchuk completed his 13th career hat trick and scored for the 29th time on the season just 64 seconds later as his one-timer from the slot went in on the far side.
David Clarkson capped the rout with a redirection in front with 4:01 to play.
These two will face each other again on Saturday in New Jersey. It will be the third straight game that the Islanders play the Devils, while New Jersey had a game against the Rangers on Tuesday after playing the Islanders on Sunday...Each team has won twice in the season series...The Devils went 1- for-3 on the power play, while the Islanders were 0-for-3.
- NEW YORK: 1
NEW JERSEY: 5
Mar 8 9:27 PM
- New Jersey Goal - David Clarkson (27), from Marek Zidlicky and Jacob Josefson at 15:59.
Islanders 1, Devils 5 3rd - 4:01Mar 8 9:16 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Ilya Kovalchuk (29), from Zach Parise and Adam Henrique at 8:09.
Islanders 1, Devils 4 3rd - 11:51Mar 8 9:00 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Patrik Elias (23), from Ryan Carter and Adam Larsson at 7:05.
Islanders 1, Devils 3 3rd - 12:55Mar 8 8:59 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
NEW JERSEY: 2
End of 2nd
Mar 8 8:31 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Andrew MacDonald (4), from David Ullstrom at 16:21.
Islanders 1, Devils 2 2nd - 3:39Mar 8 8:23 PM
- New Jersey Power-Play Goal - Ilya Kovalchuk (28), from Marek Zidlicky and Patrik Elias at 3:33.
Islanders 0, Devils 2 2nd - 16:27Mar 8 8:02 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 1st
Mar 8 7:40 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Ilya Kovalchuk (27), at 8:07.
Islanders 0, Devils 1 1st - 11:53Mar 8 7:20 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 8 7:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7