Pacioretty scores twice, Habs top OilersMar 9, 2012 - 6:54 AM
P.K. Subban posted a goal and two assists for the Canadiens, who had dropped seven of eight coming into the game. Peter Budaj posted 24 stops in the win.
"I'm happy that I was able to help us shake off this losing streak," said Subban. "I thought we kept the game simple and just tried to play solid every shift."
Taylor Hall, Shawn Horcoff and Linus Omark all scored for the Oilers, who have lost four of their past five games. Nikolai Khabibulin allowed four goals on 30 shots in the loss.
"We seem fatigued tonight for whatever reasons," said Edmonton head coach Tom Renney. "The guys always try to respond, but it was just one of those games where we weren't particularly strong anywhere on the ice."
Edmonton scored 12 minutes into the game on the power play when Horcoff tipped in a Corey Potter blast, but Subban tied it with a power-play goal of his own with 16.6 seconds left in the first on a big shot from the high slot.
The Habs took a 2-1 lead 2:02 into the second as Pacioretty jammed the puck home down low, but Omark knotted the game at two off a turnover that saw his wrister get past Budaj at the 6:42 mark of the second.
Exactly three minutes into the third on the power play, Montreal took the lead for good as Tomas Kaberle slipped home a rebound from the left side and Lars Eller made it a 4-2 game 2:07 later when his shot from behind the right side of the net bounced off Khabibulin and went in.
Hall scored with 6:48 to play made it a one-goal game, but the Oilers were unable to net the equalizer and Pacioretty sealed the win with the empty- netter in the final moments.
Montreal was 2-for-4 on the power play while Edmonton was 1-for-4...Edmonton plays in Colorado on Saturday...Montreal continues its four-game trip in Vancouver on Saturday...Edmonton had won the previous three against Montreal and this was Montreal's first win in Edmonton since November 22, 2003.
- MONTREAL: 5
Mar 9 12:06 AM
- Montreal Empty Net Goal - Max Pacioretty (30), from P.K. Subban at 19:43.
Canadiens 5, Oilers 3 3rd - 0:17Mar 9 12:05 AM
- Edmonton Goal - Taylor Hall (24), at 13:12.
Canadiens 4, Oilers 3 3rd - 6:48Mar 8 11:53 PM
- Montreal Goal - Lars Eller (15), at 5:07.
Canadiens 4, Oilers 2 3rd - 14:53Mar 8 11:37 PM
- Montreal Power-Play Goal - Tomas Kaberle (3), at 3:00.
Canadiens 3, Oilers 2 3rd - 17:00Mar 8 11:33 PM
- MONTREAL: 2
End of 2nd
Mar 8 11:10 PM
- Rene Bourque wrist shot on Nikolai Khabibulin.
Canadiens 2, Oilers 2 2nd - 4:02Mar 8 11:03 PM
- Montreal Goal - Rene Bourque (18), from Aaron Palushaj at 15:58.
Canadiens 3, Oilers 2 2nd - 4:02Mar 8 11:01 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Linus Omark, at 6:42.
Canadiens 2, Oilers 2 2nd - 13:18Mar 8 10:47 PM
- Montreal Goal - Max Pacioretty (29), from Scott Gomez at 2:02.
Canadiens 2, Oilers 1 2nd - 17:58Mar 8 10:38 PM
- MONTREAL: 1
End of 1st
Mar 8 10:17 PM
- Montreal Power-Play Goal - P.K. Subban (6), at 19:43.
Canadiens 1, Oilers 1 1st - 0:17Mar 8 10:16 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Shawn Horcoff (13), at 12:06.
Canadiens 0, Oilers 1 1st - 7:54Mar 8 10:01 PM
- MONTREAL: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 8 9:39 PM
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Former Canadiens coach Jacques Demers improving after stroke Apr 15
- Fighting the bear: John Scott demonstrates a hockey fight Apr 14