Stamkos hits 50, Bolts strike down BruinsMar 14, 2012 - 4:16 AM
Stamkos also made his mark as the sixth player in league history to score at least 50 goals in a season twice before turning 23, joining Mike Bossy, Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Joe Nieuwendyk and Alex Ovechkin.
"It was definitely in the back of my mind. It was a special night," Stamkos said.
Tom Pyatt, Nate Thompson and Ryan Shannon tallied in the opening minutes for the Lightning, who snapped a three-game skid.
Dustin Tokarski earned his first NHL victory, stopping a career-best 33 shots.
Jordan Caron supplied the lone offense for the Bruins, losers of three in a row and five of seven.
Marty Turco started the game but was yanked after allowing three goals on six shots in less than five minutes. Tim Thomas filled in for just under 19 minutes before Turco was reinserted. The former's ledger ended with four scores allowed on 12 shots, and the latter was dented twice on five shots.
Tampa blitzed the visitors early, as Pyatt tallied with less than two minutes played on a tip-in of a Ryan Malone chance, then Thompson followed 30 seconds later, and Shannon completed the burst with a power-play score from a breakaway at 4:31.
"We have to find a way, we have to stick together and stay positive," Caron said. "It's not easy right now, but just have to forget about those last three games and keep looking forward."
Thomas entered the contest but Hedman made it 4-0 at 15:38 on a high blast from between the circles.
Stamkos' wraparound -- his 49th of the year -- at 4:06 of the second period provided a five-goal bulge and Thomas was replaced by Turco.
Caron spoiled Tokarski's shutout bid less than two minutes into the third, but Stamkos reached the milestone at the 11:43 mark by taking a Martin St. Louis pass and ripping a wrister home from the inner edge of the right circle.
"I was thinking it could be it. As soon as I got the puck on my stick, I saw the right side of the net was open," Stamkos added. "I tried to get as much wood on it as I could and it went in. This was something I worked hard to get to and I hope there's more like that down the stretch."
Stamkos tallied 51 times two seasons ago...Tampa Bay has taken two of three over the defending champions this season with one more meeting scheduled for March 27 in Boston...Brian Lee picked up two assists for the Lightning...Bruins forward Tyler Seguin and defenseman Andrew Ference both posted game-low minus-four ratings.
- BOSTON: 1
TAMPA BAY: 6
Mar 13 10:07 PM
- Milan Lucic wrist shot is over the net.
Bruins 1, Lightning 6 3rd - 7:59Mar 13 9:52 PM
- Brad Marchand snap shot hit the goalpost.
Bruins 1, Lightning 5 3rd - 8:27Mar 13 9:51 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Steven Stamkos (50), from Martin St. Louis at 11:43.
Bruins 1, Lightning 6 3rd - 8:17Mar 13 9:51 PM
- Boston Goal - Jordan Caron (7), at 1:55.
Bruins 1, Lightning 5 3rd - 18:05Mar 13 9:32 PM
- BOSTON: 0
TAMPA BAY: 5
End of 2nd
Mar 13 9:22 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Steven Stamkos (49), from Teddy Purcell at 3:06.
Bruins 0, Lightning 5 2nd - 16:54Mar 13 8:40 PM
- BOSTON: 0
TAMPA BAY: 4
End of 1st
Mar 13 8:19 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Victor Hedman (4), at 15:38.
Bruins 0, Lightning 4 1st - 4:22Mar 13 8:10 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Ryan Shannon (4), at 4:31.
Bruins 0, Lightning 3 1st - 15:29Mar 13 7:48 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Nate Thompson (9), from Adam Hall at 2:26.
Bruins 0, Lightning 2 1st - 17:34Mar 13 7:44 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Tom Pyatt (8), from Ryan Malone and Victor Hedman at 1:56.
Bruins 0, Lightning 1 1st - 18:04Mar 13 7:43 PM
- BOSTON: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 13 7:38 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17