Sabres handle LightningMar 20, 2012 - 3:44 AM
Drew Stafford had a goal and two assists for the Sabres, who remained two points back of Washington for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. Corey Tropp and Brad Boyes also lit the lamp.
Ryan Miller made 24 saves for Buffalo, which snapped a two-game skid.
Ryan Malone and Bruno Gervais each had a goal and an assist for the Lightning, who were trying for their first regular-season series sweep over the Sabres in franchise history. Trevor Smith also scored.
Dustin Tokarski started the game for Tampa Bay and stopped 11-of-15 shots. Dwayne Roloson turned aside 20-of-23 shots in relief.
The Lightning, who fell to 1-4-0 on a seven-game homestand, have 71 points and sit nine points back of Washington. The Capitals beat the Red Wings on Monday.
"Come to work every day until [the season's] done. We owe it to one another to not give in and play hard," said Tampa Bay forward Martin St. Louis.
The Sabres drew first blood at the 11:31 mark of the first period. Christian Ehrhoff's shot from along the left boards deflected off Stafford and past Tokarski.
Pominville beat Tokarski on a shot from the bottom of the left circle to make it 2-0 with 4:10 to go.
Foligno gave Buffalo a three-goal cushion just 1:09 into the middle stanza. Tyler Ennis led a 2-on-1 rush down the left side before passing to Foligno, who found the back of the net.
Gervais finally put Tampa Bay on the board at the 7:12 mark when he slapped home a cross-ice pass from Teddy Purcell.
After Tropp put the Sabres ahead by three again, Smith jammed home a rebound for the Lightning at the 14:14 mark.
Foligno lit the lamp on the power play with 3:38 remaining to make it 5-2. Boyes scored 38 seconds later to make it a four-goal contest.
Pominville and Malone scored in the third to account for the final margin.
Tampa Bay took three of four from Buffalo this season...The Sabres went 2- for-4 on the power play, while the Lightning went 0-for-2 on the man advantage...Tampa Bay forwards Nate Thompson and Adam Hall missed the game with upper-body injuries...Buffalo defenseman Tyler Myers served the final part of a three-game suspension. The Sabres were also without forwards Matt Ellis (knee) and Nathan Gerbe (upper-body).
- BUFFALO: 7
TAMPA BAY: 3
Mar 19 10:04 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Eric Brewer (2), at 14:57.
Sabres 7, Lightning 3 3rd - 5:03Mar 19 9:56 PM
- Drew Stafford wrist shot is over the net.
Sabres 7, Lightning 2 3rd - 19:02Mar 19 9:30 PM
- BUFFALO: 6
TAMPA BAY: 2
End of 2nd
Mar 19 9:11 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Brad Boyes, from Cody McCormick at 17:00.
Sabres 6, Lightning 2 2nd - 3:00Mar 19 9:06 PM
- Buffalo Power-Play Goal - Marcus Foligno (5), from Drew Stafford and Tyler Ennis at 16:22.
Sabres 5, Lightning 2 2nd - 3:38Mar 19 9:05 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Ryan Malone (14), at 14:14.
Sabres 4, Lightning 2 2nd - 5:46Mar 19 8:57 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Corey Tropp (3), at 8:16.
Sabres 4, Lightning 1 2nd - 11:44Mar 19 8:46 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Bruno Gervais (5), from Teddy Purcell at 7:12.
Sabres 3, Lightning 1 2nd - 12:48Mar 19 8:44 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Marcus Foligno (4), from Alexander Sulzer and Drew Stafford at 1:09.
Sabres 3, Lightning 0 2nd - 18:51Mar 19 8:33 PM
- BUFFALO: 2
TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 1st
Mar 19 8:14 PM
- Martin St. Louis slap shot on Ryan Miller.
Sabres 2, Lightning 0 1st - 3:07Mar 19 8:10 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Drew Stafford (15), from Christian Ehrhoff at 11:31.
Sabres 1, Lightning 0 1st - 8:29Mar 19 7:58 PM
- BUFFALO: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 19 7:38 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17