Panthers edge Flyers, 2-1Mar 21, 2012 - 2:59 AM
Stephen Weiss and Sean Bergenheim both had a goal for the Panthers, who extended their lead to five points ahead of the Capitals for the top spot in the Southeast Division and third overall in the Eastern Conference.
Brian Campbell posted two assists for Florida, which has won five straight.
"We want to keep this momentum going," said Florida head coach Kevin Dineen. "I think that's a word that we've used a lot lately. Trying to build some momentum and it's not just to get in. We want to be an effective team. I don't think we played our best game tonight."
Eric Wellwood scored the lone goal for the Flyers, who sit fifth in the Eastern Conference. They trail Pittsburgh by four points and lead New Jersey by three as both of those teams won on Tuesday night.
"Their goalie played really well and they were keeping us to the outside," said Wellwood. "I think that is one thing, that if we were able to get to their house, the inside of their house, I think we would of scored more goals."
Ilya Bryzgalov gave up both goals on just 13 shots for Philadelphia, which had won five straight at home.
Florida jumped on top 13 minutes in when Weiss' wrister from the slot beat Bryzgalov to the left corner for his 18th of the season.
Skating on the power play, the Panthers took a 2-0 lead 6:23 into the second thanks to a fortunate bounce.
Campbell dumped the puck deep from the left point and it appeared to be headed behind the Flyers net. However, it bounced off the end board instead and went to the low left side where Bergenheim snuck it past Bryzgalov.
Wellwood scored 1:31 later when his pass from behind the net went off the skate of Ed Jovanovski and snuck past Clemmensen.
The Flyers threw everything they had at the net in the final period, peppering Clemmensen with 12 shots, but the goaltender kept everything away for the win.
Philly hosts Washington on Thursday...Florida plays at Carolina on Wednesday...The Flyers won three of the four games in the season series with the Panthers...Florida went 1-for-2 on the power play while Philly was 0- for-4.
- FLORIDA: 2
Mar 20 9:30 PM
- FLORIDA: 2
End of 2nd
Mar 20 8:39 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Eric Wellwood (4), at 7:54.
Panthers 2, Flyers 1 2nd - 12:06Mar 20 8:16 PM
- Florida Power-Play Goal - Sean Bergenheim (17), at 6:23.
Panthers 2, Flyers 0 2nd - 13:37Mar 20 8:08 PM
- FLORIDA: 1
End of 1st
Mar 20 7:42 PM
- FLORIDA: 1
1st Period - 6:12
Panthers 1, Flyers 0 1st - 6:12Mar 20 7:31 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 20 7:08 PM
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26