Red Wings rally to beat HurricanesMar 25, 2012 - 3:27 AM
Henrik Zetterberg added two goals while Todd Bertuzzi also scored for Detroit, which rallied from a 4-1 deficit and snapped a six-game losing streak. The Red Wings avoided dropping seven straight contests for the first time since Jan. 14-30, 1991.
Ty Conklin stopped 20-of-24 shots in the win, which kept the Red Wings in the fourth spot of the Western Conference with a one-point lead over the Nashville Predators, who also won on Saturday.
Jiri Tlusty had two goals for the Hurricanes, who dropped their second straight game. Chad LaRose and Jamie McBain also scored for Carolina, while Cam Ward made 45 saves.
"It's disappointing," LaRose said about the loss. "We didn't take care of our lead when we had the opportunity and it cost us."
Detroit trailed by one entering the third period after two late goals in the second period cut into a 4-1 deficit and was able to knot the game at the 8:10 mark when Brad Stuart's one-timer from the high slot first hit off the skates of Hudler before bouncing off the right skate of Carolina's Jay Harrison and dribbling across the goal line.
The Red Wings capped their comeback and earned their first lead of the contest with 8:25 remaining in the contest. After Carolina's Brandon Sutter pulled the puck behind him on a defensive zone faceoff, Cleary raced to the puck and tipped it towards the slot, where Miller caught up to it and backhanded a shot past the glove of Ward.
The Hurricanes were unable to net the game-tying goal down the stretch as they were held to just three shots in the final period.
"I thought we played good. I think everyone thought that we did good things," said Zetterberg. "We just kept going. We got to play 60 minutes and tonight we found a way to score more goals than them."
Carolina jump out to the lead just 17 seconds into the contest after Tlusty raced into the Red Wings' zone with Detroit's Ian White battling for a loose puck. Tlusty managed to get his stick on the disc first and his sweeping backhander from the right circle deflected off White's stick and snuck under the crossbar.
Detroit was rewarded consecutive power plays, including a brief, five second two-man advantage, near the midpoint of the first period, but were unable to light the lamp in the frame despite outshooting the Hurricanes by a mark of 16-10.
Then, just 26 seconds into the second period, Carolina added to its lead when Eric Staal grabbed the puck near the right boards and fed a pass to LaRose in the left circle, where he sent a quick wrister through the short side for a 2-0 advantage.
The Red Wings made it a one-goal game at the 5:10 mark of the second with Zetterberg's wrister from the right circle that deflected off the toe of Hurricanes defenseman Bryan Allen and slipped between the pads of Ward.
Detroit supplied almost constant pressure over the next eight-plus minutes trying for the equalizer, but Ward made several big saves in that span before the Hurricanes tallied two quick power play goals.
Carolina was awarded a 5-on-3 power play for 31 seconds with 4:53 left in the second when Cleary was whistled for hooking while Nicklas Lidstrom was already in the box for an interference penalty, and the Hurricanes took advantage with one second left on the two-man advantage on McBain's one-time blast from the top of the left circle into the top-right corner.
The Hurricanes made it a 4-1 game 17 seconds later on Tlusty's redirection in the slot.
But Detroit responded with Zetterberg's one-timer from the high slot with 3:02 remaining in the middle stanza that deflected into the net off Ward's mask and a Bertuzzi goal at the 17:16 mark when he batted a skipping left-point shot by Gustav Nyquist out of midair an into the twine to make it a 4-3 contest entering the third.
Lidstrom returned from an 11-game absence because of a bone bruise in his right ankle. The Red Wings also got back defenseman Jakub Kindl after missing eight contests with a strained oblique muscle...Detroit improved to 29-5-2 at home this season, while Carolina fell to 11-18-9 on the road...The Hurricanes have not won a regular season game in Detroit since November 14, 1989 when the team was still known as the Hartford Whalers.
- CAROLINA: 4
Mar 24 9:38 PM
- Detroit Goal - Andrew Miller (14), at 11:35.
Hurricanes 4, Red Wings 5 3rd - 8:25Mar 24 9:23 PM
- Detroit Goal - Brad Stuart (6), from Valtteri Filppula at 8:10.
Hurricanes 4, Red Wings 4 3rd - 11:50Mar 24 9:16 PM
- CAROLINA: 4
End of 2nd
Mar 24 8:44 PM
- Detroit Goal - Todd Bertuzzi (14), from Gustav Nyquist and Nicklas Lidstrom at 17:16.
Hurricanes 4, Red Wings 3 2nd - 2:44Mar 24 8:38 PM
- Detroit Goal - Henrik Zetterberg (21), from Valtteri Filppula and Jiri Hudler at 16:58.
Hurricanes 4, Red Wings 2 2nd - 3:02Mar 24 8:36 PM
- Carolina Power-Play Goal - Jiri Tlusty (17), at 15:55.
Hurricanes 4, Red Wings 1 2nd - 4:05Mar 24 8:32 PM
- Carolina Power-Play Goal - Jamie McBain (8), at 15:38.
Hurricanes 3, Red Wings 1 2nd - 4:22Mar 24 8:30 PM
- Detroit Goal - Henrik Zetterberg (20), from Valtteri Filppula and Jiri Hudler at 5:10.
Hurricanes 2, Red Wings 1 2nd - 14:50Mar 24 8:11 PM
- Carolina Goal - Chad LaRose (18), at :26.
Hurricanes 2, Red Wings 0 2nd - 19:34Mar 24 8:02 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jiri Tlusty (16), at :16.
Hurricanes 1, Red Wings 0 1st - 19:44Mar 24 7:09 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 24 7:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 25
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 24
- Red Wings follow refrain, make brief appearance in playoffs Apr 22