Bruins pull away from LightningMar 28, 2012 - 4:54 AM
Shawn Thornton, Rich Peverley, Dennis Seidenberg and Brad Marchand scored and Zdeno Chara added three assists for the Bruins, who have won three straight and five of their last six games. Tim Thomas needed to make just 16 stops in the victory.
With the win, the Bruins extended their lead in the Northeast Division to five points over the idle Ottawa Senators.
"I think we're playing with a lot of confidence, which is big," Marchand said. "We just need to stay in our system where everyone is forechecking and backchecking hard."
Steven Stamkos scored both goals and Martin St. Louis added two helpers for the Lightning, who had their three-game winning streak halted. Dwayne Roloson gave up four tallies on 37 shots in defeat.
Boston took the lead for good at 11:34 of the third period, breaking a 2-2 deadlock. Chara fired a slap shot from the left point that was kicked to the corner by Roloson, but Brian Rolston collected the puck in the corner and brought it around behind the net before feeding a wide open Pouliot, who snapped it into an open net.
It was 4-2 for Boston with 4:10 to play when Marchand walked into the slot and fired a wrist shot past a screened Roloson, and Peverley found the empty net with seven seconds left to lock up the win for the B's.
The Lightning opened the scoring 5:03 into the first stanza after Stamkos collected a loose puck in the neutral zone and gained the blue line with speed on the right wing. The NHL's leading goal-scorer glided to the right circle and snapped it past Thomas, off the far post and in.
The Bruins tied the game at the 10:54 mark of the first period. Chara kept a loose puck in the zone at the point, dangled around a Tampa checker to the slot and fired a shot on net that was stopped by Roloson, but Thornton was on the doorstep to ram it home.
With 4:55 to play in the second period, the Bruins grabbed a 2-1 lead. Chara blasted a wicked slap shot on net and though Roloson made the initial save, the rebound came out to Seidenbeg, who had pinched down to the left circle, and he ripped it home.
But, 5:46 into the third period, Tampa forged a 2-2 tie with a power-play tally. Holding the puck at the point, Victor Hedman sent a soft pass to the left wing for Stamkos, who fired a one-timer past Thomas.
"There's no quit on this team,' Stamkos said. "We were playing a pretty good hockey team, in their rink, and sticking around for most of the game. Yeah, we're giving up more shots and scoring chances than we'd like, but, we're giving it our all and there's not much more you can ask."
The Bruins improved to 41-5-0 this season in games in which they score three- or-more goals...Tampa Bay finished 1-for-4 with the man advantage, while the Bruins failed to score with five power-play opportunities...Stamkos increased his league-leading goal total to 55...Chara ended with three assists...Both clubs are back in action on Thursday, as the Lightning visit the New Jersey Devils and Boston hosts the Washington Capitals.
- TAMPA BAY: 2
Mar 27 10:11 PM
- Boston Empty Net Goal - Rich Peverley (10), at 19:53.
Lightning 2, Bruins 5 3rd - 0:07Mar 27 10:11 PM
- Boston Goal - Brad Marchand (26), from Patrice Bergeron and Tyler Seguin at 15:50.
Lightning 2, Bruins 4 3rd - 4:10Mar 27 10:01 PM
- Boston Goal - Benoit Pouliot (14), at 11:34.
Lightning 2, Bruins 3 3rd - 8:26Mar 27 9:51 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Steven Stamkos (55), at 5:46.
Lightning 2, Bruins 2 3rd - 14:14Mar 27 9:41 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 27 9:15 PM
- Boston Goal - Dennis Seidenberg (4), at 15:05.
Lightning 1, Bruins 2 2nd - 4:55Mar 27 9:05 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 1st
Mar 27 8:21 PM
- Boston Goal - Shawn Thornton (5), at 10:54.
Lightning 1, Bruins 1 1st - 9:06Mar 27 8:03 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Steven Stamkos (54), at 5:03.
Lightning 1, Bruins 0 1st - 14:57Mar 27 7:52 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 27 7:43 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17