Jets' Ladd scores 15 seconds into OTMar 31, 2012 - 4:17 AM
Moments into the extra session, Zach Bogosian sent a pass from the right point to the front of the net where Ladd tapped it to the forehand and swept it in for the winner.
Kyle Wellwood had a goal and an assist while Jim Slater and Nik Antropov also scored for the Jets, who snapped a three-game slide. Chris Mason made 30 saves in the win.
The Jets kept their slim playoff hopes alive. They have 80 points, six back of Washington for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference with four games to play.
"We want to show that we have a lot of character in the room," said Ladd. "We owe it to each other in the room and to our fans back home to battle hard the rest of these games and see where we land."
Eric Staal, Brandon Sutter and Derek Joslin all scored for the Hurricanes, who have dropped three of four. Cam Ward gave up four goals on 35 shots in the loss.
Carolina got a point out of the loss and has 78, but was eliminated from postseason contention on Friday.
"We had a 3-1 lead against a team that wasn't playing well at the time and we let them get back in," said Staal. "We can't allow that to happen and obviously we have some things to work on as a team."
Winnipeg scored just 2:23 into the game when Antropov's wrist shot from the left circle found the back of the net, but Carolina would score the next three goals.
The first came at the 11:22 mark of the first when Jeff Skinner sent a backhand pass from behind the net to the front where Joslin one-timed it home.
Just over five minutes later, Staal scored shorthanded as he caught up to a turnover in the neutral zone, held his defender off with one hand before spinning around and firing the puck into the net for his 24th of the year.
It was a 3-1 game 3:49 into the second as Sutter jammed home a loose puck during a scrum in front, but Winnipeg made it a one-goal game halfway through the second as Spencer Machacek sent a pass from the right wing to the front where Slater redirected it in.
Skating on the power play late in the third, the Jets tied the game as Wellwood snapped home a rebound in front for his 17th of the season with 4:47 to play in regulation.
Carolina hosts New Jersey on Saturday...Winnipeg plays in Tampa Bay on Saturday...Winnipeg won four of six from Carolina this season...The Jets were 1-for-4 on the power play while the Hurricanes went 0-for-4.
- WINNIPEG: 4
Final - OT
Mar 30 9:33 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Andrew Ladd (25), from Zach Bogosian at :15.
Jets 4, Hurricanes 3 OT - 4:45Mar 30 9:33 PM
- WINNIPEG: 3
End of Regulation
Mar 30 9:31 PM
- Winnipeg Power-Play Goal - Kyle Wellwood (17), from Antti Miettinen and Zach Bogosian at 15:13.
Jets 3, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 4:47Mar 30 9:19 PM
- WINNIPEG: 2
End of 2nd
Mar 30 8:35 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Jim Slater (11), from Spencer Machacek and Zach Bogosian at 10:25.
Jets 2, Hurricanes 3 2nd - 9:35Mar 30 8:18 PM
- Carolina Goal - Brandon Sutter (16), at 3:49.
Jets 1, Hurricanes 3 2nd - 16:11Mar 30 8:07 PM
- WINNIPEG: 1
End of 1st
Mar 30 7:46 PM
- Carolina Short-Handed Goal - Eric Staal (24), at 16:46.
Jets 1, Hurricanes 2 1st - 3:14Mar 30 7:41 PM
- Carolina Goal - Derek Joslin (2), from Jeff Skinner at 11:22.
Jets 1, Hurricanes 1 1st - 8:38Mar 30 7:30 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Nik Antropov (14), from Kyle Wellwood and Evander Kane at 2:23.
Jets 1, Hurricanes 0 1st - 17:37Mar 30 7:11 PM
- WINNIPEG: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 30 7:08 PM
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Hurricanes, Nordstrom agree to 2-year, $2.55M extension Apr 22
- Goalie Cam Ward says he wants to return to Hurricanes Apr 12
- Hurricanes confident rebuilding plan is on the right track Apr 10
- Winnipeg Jets rally from 3 goals down to stun LA Kings 4-3 Apr 10
- Panthers score 3 early goals, beat Hurricanes 5-2 Apr 9
- Jets-Kings Preview Apr 8
- Hurricanes-Panthers Preview Apr 8
- Byfuglien scores late to give Jets 5-4 victory over Sharks Apr 8
- NHL Capsules Apr 8
- Lindgren shines in debut, leads Canadiens past Hurricanes Apr 7