Boston inches closer to clinching division with win over IslesMar 31, 2012 - 11:03 PM
Chris Kelly and Patrice Bergeron also lit the lamp for the Bruins, who netted four goals in the final period, including two tallies in a 24-second span to put the game away.
Marty Turco made 19 saves in the win.
"We hope to peak when the playoffs are around. We're trying to play our best hockey heading into the playoffs," Bruins head coach Claude Julien said.
The Bruins had an opportunity to clinch the division on Saturday with an Ottawa regulation loss to Philadelphia, but the Senators earned two points with a shootout win over the Flyers.
Boston can claim its second consecutive divisional crown with a victory against the New York Rangers on Sunday.
P.A. Parenteau netted two goals and Kyle Okposo also tallied for New York, which had won five of its last six games coming in.
Al Montoya allowed six goals on 27 shots in defeat.
With the loss, the Islanders have been officially eliminated from playoff contention for the fifth consecutive season.
"It's tough, you never want to be eliminated for good. We'll turn the page here and try to finish strong in the last four games and see what happens," Parenteau said.
With the contest tied at two heading into the third period, Boston netted the first two goals of the deciding frame.
From the right circle, Seguin found Marchand in the slot. Marchand made a quick deke to his left to elude Dylan Reese and then faked out Montoya before wristing his shot into the empty net.
Seguin's wrister from the top of the left circle made it 4-2 midway through the third.
Parenteau's wrister pulled the Islanders within a goal with 5:07 left before Bergeron and Krejci sealed the victory with a pair of tallies 24 seconds apart.
Bergeron put home a rebound and Krejci tapped in Milan Lucic's backhanded pass with 3:17 remaining for a 6-3 Bruins advantage.
Krejci one-timed Lucic's backhanded behind the net pass to give Boston a 1-0 lead with 1:49 left in the opening stanza, but Okposo tied the contest 29 seconds later as his wrister from the slot sailed past Turco's glove.
Kelly gave the Bruins a 2-1 lead at the 4:58 mark of the second. From the right boards, he maneuvered his way into the slot before lifting his wrister past Montoya.
The Islanders tied the game late in the second. From the left circle, Tavares spun and passed to Parenteau near the crease and he tapped the disc into the wide-open net.
Turco won his 275th career game...Okposo has scored in five straight games...Boston held a 36-18 advantage on faceoffs...New York was 0-for-2 on the power play while Boston was 0-for-1.
- BOSTON: 6
NEW YORK: 3
Mar 31 3:27 PM
- Boston Goal - David Krejci (23), from Milan Lucic at 16:43.
Bruins 6, Islanders 3 3rd - 3:17Mar 31 3:20 PM
- Boston Goal - Patrice Bergeron (13), at 16:19.
Bruins 5, Islanders 3 3rd - 3:41Mar 31 3:19 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - P.A. Parenteau (18), at 14:53.
Bruins 4, Islanders 3 3rd - 5:07Mar 31 3:17 PM
- Boston Goal - Tyler Seguin (27), from Patrice Bergeron at 10:37.
Bruins 4, Islanders 2 3rd - 9:23Mar 31 3:09 PM
- Boston Goal - Brad Marchand, at 3:13.
Bruins 3, Islanders 2 3rd - 16:47Mar 31 2:56 PM
- BOSTON: 2
NEW YORK: 2
End of 2nd
Mar 31 2:35 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - P.A. Parenteau (17), at 14:26.
Bruins 2, Islanders 2 2nd - 5:34Mar 31 2:25 PM
- Boston Goal - Chris Kelly (20), at 4:58.
Bruins 2, Islanders 1 2nd - 15:02Mar 31 2:06 PM
- BOSTON: 1
NEW YORK: 1
End of 1st
Mar 31 1:41 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Kyle Okposo (21), at 18:40.
Bruins 1, Islanders 1 1st - 1:20Mar 31 1:40 PM
- Boston Goal - David Krejci (22), at 18:11.
Bruins 1, Islanders 0 1st - 1:49Mar 31 1:38 PM
- BOSTON: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 31 1:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7
- Garrison's OT goal lifts Lightning to 2-1 win over Islanders May 7
- Islanders look for win amid improved play against Lightning May 6