Devils blank Hurricanes, clinch playoff spotApr 1, 2012 - 3:40 AM
Petr Sykora had a goal and an assist for the Devils, who are back in the postseason after having a string of 13 straight trips to the playoffs snapped last season.
David Clarkson, Ryan Carter and Zach Parise also lit the lamp for New Jersey, which sits sixth in the Eastern Conference with 96 points.
Martin Brodeur made 22 saves for his third shutout of the season.
"Not a lot of emotions, just happy for our group," Devils head coach Peter DeBoer said. "We took a step today to where we want to get to."
Brian Boucher stopped 26-of-31 shots for the Hurricanes, who have lost two in a row.
The Devils got going with 22 seconds left in the first period. Patrik Elias controlled the puck along the goal line and fed a pass in front for Clarkson, whose snap shot beat Boucher.
Kovalchuk's one-timer from the high slot at the 1:44 mark of the middle stanza made it 2-0.
Less than two minutes later, Carter finished off a 2-on-1 rush with a shot from inside the right circle.
New Jersey made it a 4-0 game with 2:30 to go in the second. Elias won a left faceoff draw and Sykora quickly fired a shot on net from the top of the circle.
Parise lit the lamp 1:15 into the third to finalize the scoring.
"I thought we had a decent start in the first five minutes or so, and after that they seemed to take over," Boucher said. "They just kept coming in waves. They got a goal before the end of the period and scored two quick ones in the second and that was pretty much it."
The Devils took three of four games from Carolina this season...Brodeur recorded his 119th career shutout...New Jersey went 1-for-4 on the power play, while the Hurricanes went 0-for-4 on the man advantage.
- NEW JERSEY: 5
Mar 31 9:28 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Zach Parise (31), from Ilya Kovalchuk and Travis Zajac at 1:15.
Devils 5, Hurricanes 0 3rd - 18:45Mar 31 8:58 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 4
End of 2nd
Mar 31 8:40 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Petr Sykora (19), from Patrik Elias at 17:30.
Devils 4, Hurricanes 0 2nd - 2:30Mar 31 8:37 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Ryan Carter, from Steve Bernier at 3:28.
Devils 3, Hurricanes 0 2nd - 16:32Mar 31 8:09 PM
- New Jersey Power-Play Goal - Ilya Kovalchuk (34), from Petr Sykora and Dainius Zubrus at 1:44.
Devils 2, Hurricanes 0 2nd - 18:16Mar 31 8:06 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 1st
Mar 31 7:45 PM
- New Jersey Power-Play Goal - David Clarkson (30), from Patrik Elias and Ilya Kovalchuk at 19:38.
Devils 1, Hurricanes 0 1st - 0:22Mar 31 7:44 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 31 7:09 PM
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Hurricanes, Nordstrom agree to 2-year, $2.55M extension Apr 22
- Goalie Cam Ward says he wants to return to Hurricanes Apr 12
- Devils make progress under Hynes, still miss playoffs Apr 11
- Devils' Elias reconsidering future after good final week Apr 10
- Hurricanes confident rebuilding plan is on the right track Apr 10
- Panthers score 3 early goals, beat Hurricanes 5-2 Apr 9