Phaneuf nets winner as Maple Leafs top LightningApr 6, 2012 - 4:58 AM
Tim Connolly and Jake Gardiner also scored for Toronto, with Gardiner's goal tying the game late in the third period.
Ben Scrivens made 35 saves in the win -- only the Maple Leafs' 10th since the All-Star break (10-17-5). They will finish the regular season on Saturday in Montreal.
"We talked about wanting to win at home for our fans in the final home game," said Phaneuf. "All of our focus was on winning this one for them and we feel good about tonight."
Steven Stamkos inched closer to becoming the first player since Alex Ovechkin in 2007-08 to score 60 goals, getting his 59th on a stuff early in the third period to give Tampa Bay a 2-1 lead.
Martin St. Louis also scored while Dwayne Roloson gave up three goals on 31 shots for the Lightning, who fell to 2-3-1 in their last six and will wrap up the season at Winnipeg on Saturday to finish a three-game road trip.
"We were in this game, I mean we had 40 shots, but their goaltender played hard," said Tampa Bay head coach Guy Boucher. "We gave a good effort tonight, but just fell short."
The Maple Leafs, though they have endured a second-half collapse, won all four games with the Lightning this season after being swept in last season's four- game series.
Phaneuf's 11th goal of the season, a rebound he found next to the goal, ended it.
Earlier, St. Louis opened the scoring 5:49 into the game with his 25th of the season on a one-timer in the slot. Connolly got his 13th just 43 seconds after that at the end of a 3-on-2.
Following a scoreless second period, Stamkos netted his league-leading 59th goal 8:48 into the third after a nice pass by Bruno Gervais through the legs of a Toronto defender.
Gardiner's seventh of the season tied the game with 2:55 left in regulation.
The Maple Leafs outscored the Lightning 20-7 this season...Ovechkin had 65 goals for the Capitals four years ago...St. Louis and Gardiner also had an assist.
- TAMPA BAY: 2
Final - OT
Apr 5 9:41 PM
- Toronto Goal - Dion Phaneuf (11), from Phil Kessel at 4:01.
Lightning 2, Maple Leafs 3 OT - 0:59Apr 5 9:41 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 2
End of Regulation
Apr 5 9:33 PM
- Toronto Goal - Jake Gardiner (7), from Clarke MacArthur at 17:05.
Lightning 2, Maple Leafs 2 3rd - 2:55Apr 5 9:26 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Steven Stamkos (59), from Bruno Gervais and Martin St. Louis at 8:48.
Lightning 2, Maple Leafs 1 3rd - 11:12Apr 5 9:08 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 2nd
Apr 5 8:39 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 1st
Apr 5 7:44 PM
- Toronto Goal - Tim Connolly, at 6:31.
Lightning 1, Maple Leafs 1 1st - 13:29Apr 5 7:20 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Martin St. Louis (25), at 5:49.
Lightning 1, Maple Leafs 0 1st - 14:11Apr 5 7:18 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 5 7:06 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17