Flyers beat Sabres, lock up 5th seedApr 6, 2012 - 3:42 AM
Philadelphia will be seeded fifth and will face cross-state rival Pittsburgh, which downed the Rangers on Thursday to take the fourth seed.
Buffalo, meanwhile, was knocked out of contention with the loss and Washington's win over Florida on Thursday.
Ilya Bryzgalov stopped 25 shots in the win for the Flyers, who went 22-13-6 at home and will finish the regular season in Pittsburgh on Saturday.
"I expected Buffalo was going to play like that because every game for them was so important," said Bryzgalov. "It was a playoff race and we basically knew they would be very patient, like a silent killer, waiting to strike and use their chances."
Ville Leino scored the lone goal while Ryan Miller allowed two on 35 shots for the Sabres, who dropped three of their last four games and will now miss the postseason for the first time since the 2008-09 season.
Philly was trailing in the third when Bourdon tied the game. Claude Giroux had the puck down low to the left of the net and passed it back to the point for Andres Lilja, who sent the puck over to the top of the right circle where Bourdon one-timed it home at the 6:05 mark.
The Flyers took the lead after Jakub Voracek flipped the puck out of his end and Read caught up to it. Read then blew past Robyn Regehr and cut to the front before waiting out Miller to the right and snapping it past the glove with 4:21 left.
"We came out with a pretty sold game defensively," said Regehr. "I thought the guys played really hard, and in our zone especially the first half of the game. We had opportunities, the difference was it came down to the play in the neutral zone, but I thought I could be a little more aggressive, I had to win that one on one, I ended up getting beat and it cost us the hockey game, that was the difference."
Buffalo broke the scoreless game with 2:34 left in the second period after Leino slammed home the puck in the goalmouth after a Flyer missed a clearing swipe.
The Flyers took all four games against Buffalo for the second time in the past four seasons...Buffalo plays its final game of the season in Boston on Saturday...Philly had just one power play chance while Buffalo had two...Read leads all rookies with 24 goals.
- BUFFALO: 1
Apr 5 9:26 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Matt Read (24), at 15:39.
Sabres 1, Flyers 2 3rd - 4:21Apr 5 9:19 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Marc-Andre Bourdon (4), at 6:05.
Sabres 1, Flyers 1 3rd - 13:55Apr 5 9:02 PM
- BUFFALO: 1
End of 2nd
Apr 5 8:36 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Drew Stafford (21), at 17:24.
Sabres 1, Flyers 0 2nd - 2:36Apr 5 8:33 PM
- BUFFALO: 0
End of 1st
Apr 5 7:45 PM
- BUFFALO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 5 7:09 PM
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Buffalo Sabres home arena changing names to KeyBank Center May 11
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Buffalo Sabres re-sign forward Johan Larsson to 1-year deal Apr 29
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 24