Canucks overcome hat trick by Oilers rookieOct 16, 2011 - 5:42 AM
Hopkins, the top overall pick in this year's draft, scored twice in the first period and netted a power-play goal in the second to record a hat trick in just the third game of his young NHL career.
Salo finished the game with two goals and an assist while Henrik Sedin had a goal and an assist. Alexandre Burrows scored for the Canucks, who snapped a two-game slide. Roberto Luongo stopped 27 shots in the win.
Taylor Hall, the No. 1 pick of the 2010 draft and Jordan Eberle, the 22nd choice of the 2008 draft, each had two assists for the Oilers, who have dropped their past two games after opening the season with a win over Pittsburgh. Devan Dubnyk made 22 saves in the loss.
With the game tied in the third, Vancouver took a 4-3 lead as a pass from Mikael Samuelsson deep in the right boards came out to the high slot where Salo's wrister found its way inside the right arm of Dubnyk at the 7:47 mark.
Luongo needed to stop just four shots in the third period to hold on for the win.
Salo scored on the power play just 8:49 into the contest to give Vancouver a 1-0 lead.
Nugent-Hopkins notched a power-play goal at the 13:44 mark of the opening frame and added his second goal of the game with 29 seconds left in the first to give the Oilers a 2-1 lead.
"Mid-point of the first period we decided to really get engaged, and I thought that was important," said Oilers head coach Tom Renney. "We didn't get pushed out of the rink."
Sedin scored on the power play 4:19 into the middle frame before Nugent- Hopkins capped the hat trick on the power play with 3:23 to play in the second.
Vancouver tied the game with 15.5 seconds left in the second as Daniel Sedin used a wraparound pass from the right side to the front where it went off of Burrows and past Dubnyk.
The Canucks host the Rangers on Tuesday...Edmonton hosts Nashville on Monday...Vancouver took four of six from Edmonton last season...Edmonton went 2-for-5 on the power play while Vancouver was 2-for-3.
- VANCOUVER: 4
Oct 16 12:44 AM
- Vancouver Goal - Sami Salo (2), at 7:47.
Canucks 4, Oilers 3 3rd - 12:13Oct 16 12:20 AM
- VANCOUVER: 3
End of 2nd
Oct 15 11:50 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Alexandre Burrows (2), from Daniel Sedin at 19:44.
Canucks 3, Oilers 3 2nd - 0:16Oct 15 11:50 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (4), at 16:37.
Canucks 2, Oilers 3 2nd - 3:23Oct 15 11:41 PM
- Sami Salo shot blocked by Ryan Jones.
Canucks 2, Oilers 2 2nd - 15:43Oct 15 11:16 PM
- VANCOUVER: 1
End of 1st
Oct 15 10:51 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (3), at 19:31.
Canucks 1, Oilers 2 1st - 0:29Oct 15 10:48 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (2), at 13:44.
Canucks 1, Oilers 1 1st - 6:16Oct 15 10:37 PM
- Shot blocked by Alexander Edler.
Canucks 1, Oilers 0 1st - 10:27Oct 15 10:29 PM
- Kevin Bieksa slap shot is wide.
Canucks 0, Oilers 0 1st - 11:15Oct 15 10:26 PM
- Vancouver Power-Play Goal - Sami Salo, at 8:49.
Canucks 1, Oilers 0 1st - 11:11Oct 15 10:26 PM
- VANCOUVER: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 15 10:13 PM
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Canucks sign goalie Thatcher Demko to entry-level contract Apr 20
- Canucks sign North Dakota defenseman Troy Stecher Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Sharks look to forget past playoff collapse against Kings Apr 11