Langkow sends Coyotes past Kings in OTOct 30, 2011 - 5:42 AM
Radim Vrbata had two goals and an assist while Martin Hanzal added two assists for the Coyotes, who have won three of their last four. Mike Smith stopped 36 shots in the win.
Mike Richards and Anze Kopitar each had a goal for the Kings, who have lost two of their last three. Jonathan Quick stopped 30 shots in the loss.
"We had our moments in the game that were really good, but at the end we problems getting out of our end," Kings head coach Terry Murray said.
With time winding down in overtime, Langkow's shot from the slot hit off the stick of LA defenseman Jack Johnson and slipped past Quick for the win.
"I saw the opening there on the short side and just threw it," Langkow said. "I think it went off his stick or something and up and over him."
The Kings had tied the game 6:30 into the third period on a rush play that saw Trent Hunter snap a shot on net from the right wing with Kopitar backhanding in the rebound from in front.
The Kings grabbed the initial lead of the game with Richards' first goal since the opening game of the season when he one-timed home a Dustin Brown pass from the right circle at the 2:58 mark of the second period.
Phoenix, though, tied the game 5:36 into the second when Vrbata took a feed in the slot and skated over to the right circle to get Quick out of position and lifted it over the prone goaltender.
Vrbata's second goal of the game and third of the season with 4:37 to play in the second gave the Coyotes a 2-1 lead.
The Kings play at Colorado on Sunday...Phoenix's next game is also at Colorado, but not until Wednesday...The Kings had won four straight in the series...The Kings activated defenseman Drew Doughty from injured reserve on Saturday and sent defenseman Slava Voynov to Manchester of the American Hockey League.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
Final - OT
Oct 29 11:40 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 2
End of Regulation
Oct 29 11:33 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Anze Kopitar (5), from Trent Hunter and Matt Greene at 6:30.
Kings 2, Coyotes 2 3rd - 13:30Oct 29 11:05 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 1
End of 2nd
Oct 29 10:39 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Radim Vrbata (3), from Martin Hanzal at 15:23.
Kings 1, Coyotes 2 2nd - 4:37Oct 29 10:32 PM
- Jack Johnson slap shot on Mike Smith.
Kings 1, Coyotes 1 2nd - 13:30Oct 29 10:29 PM
- David Schlemko shot blocked by Matt Greene.
Kings 1, Coyotes 0 2nd - 14:27Oct 29 10:09 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Radim Vrbata (2), at 5:36.
Kings 1, Coyotes 1 2nd - 14:24Oct 29 10:09 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Mike Richards (2), from Dustin Brown and Willie Mitchell at 2:58.
Kings 1, Coyotes 0 2nd - 17:02Oct 29 10:05 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
End of 1st
Oct 29 9:44 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 29 9:09 PM
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- Kings agree with coach Darryl Sutter on contract extension May 13
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- Capitals get playoff payoff from Williams against Penguins May 8
- Kings GM: Coach Darryl Sutter has contract offer to return May 6
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 3
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 2
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30