Coyotes upend struggling OilersDec 16, 2011 - 6:20 AM
Lauri Korpikoski and Radim Vrbata also scored for the Coyotes, who halted a three-game skid.
Mike Smith made 18 saves in the victory.
"We bounced back and played a solid game tonight," said Ekman-Larsson.
Taylor Hall returned from injury to score a pair of goals, while Devan Dubnyk made 38 saves for the Oilers. They have lost seven of their last nine.
Phoenix, which never trailed in the contest, grabbed a 1-0 lead on Korpikoski's wrister late in the opening period.
Hall, who had missed the previous seven games with a shoulder injury, made it 1-1 with 3:58 left in the second, receiving a pass near the net from Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and burying a wrister past Smith.
Late in the period, the Coyotes had a goal by Martin Hanzal reversed due to a man in the crease call, but they struck just seconds later, peppering the net until Vrbata finally drove one home for a 2-1 lead.
Hall struck again at the 6:11 mark of the third. The goal was set up by Ray Whitney, who kept the puck in the zone at the blue line, then fed Ryan Smyth by the net. Smyth hit Hall across the crease for the easy tally.
Midway through the period, Doan put the Coyotes on top, charging hard to the cage, eluding a sprawling defender and driving home a high wrister.
Ekman-Larsson made it a 4-2 game with 5:23 remaining, putting a lazy shot on net, which slid through Dubnyk's wickets.
"We were not near as engaged as 18 skaters as we needed to be," said Oilers coach Tom Renney.
This was the second meeting between the teams this season. The Coyotes won the first matchup 4-2 (on November 5) and have taken eight of their last nine meetings with Edmonton...Nugent-Hopkins has nine points in his last eight games.
- EDMONTON: 2
Dec 16 12:06 AM
- Phoenix Goal - Oliver Ekman-Larsson (6), at 14:36.
Oilers 2, Coyotes 4 3rd - 5:24Dec 15 11:56 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Shane Doan (8), at 11:45.
Oilers 2, Coyotes 3 3rd - 8:15Dec 15 11:50 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Taylor Hall (9), from Ryan Smyth and Ryan Whitney at 6:10.
Oilers 2, Coyotes 2 3rd - 13:50Dec 15 11:41 PM
- EDMONTON: 1
End of 2nd
Dec 15 11:13 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Ray Whitney (11), at 19:23.
Oilers 1, Coyotes 2 2nd - 0:37Dec 15 11:11 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Taylor Hall (8), from Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle at 16:02.
Oilers 1, Coyotes 1 2nd - 3:58Dec 15 11:01 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
End of 1st
Dec 15 10:17 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Cal O'Reilly, from Lauri Korpikoski and Michal Rozsival at 15:18.
Oilers 0, Coyotes 1 1st - 4:42Dec 15 10:11 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 15 9:43 PM
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25