Red Wings dominate KingsDec 18, 2011 - 4:41 AM
Niklas Kronwall, Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk and Brad Stuart also scored for Detroit, which extended its home winning steak to 10 games. It is the Red Wings' first 10-game home win streak since the 2006-2007 season.
Jimmy Howard made 27 saves in the win.
Davis Drewiske and Jarret Stoll scored for the Kings, who have dropped six of their last seven games.
Jonathan Quick started in net for Los Angeles but was pulled in the first period after allowing three goals on seven shots. Jonathan Bernier relieved Quick and stopped 15-of-20 shots.
"I hope it doesn't take a game like this to open some eyes" Kings defenseman Rob Scuderi said. "We got to wake up eventually. There is only so much time left in the season."
Earlier in the day, Darryl Sutter reportedly agreed to become the Los Angeles Kings' next head coach and is likely to be introduced on Tuesday or Wednesday.
The 53-year-old Sutter will replace John Stevens, who Los Angeles general manager Dean Lombardi named interim coach after firing Terry Murray on Monday. The Kings are 1-2 under Stevens.
Detroit jumped out of the gate with three early goals to take control of the game.
The first came just 1:45 into the contest when Miller cleaned up a big rebound in the slot and the Red Wings took a two-goal lead 15 seconds later on Emmerton's redirection of Jonathan Ericsson's shot from the left point.
Kronwall then gave Detroit a 3-0 lead and knocked Quick out of the game at the 8:32 mark with a slap shot from the top of the right circle that blasted under the crossbar and into the top-right corner.
The Kings were able to cut into the lead on a Drewiske wrister from the left circle that ripped past Howard's glove into the far side, but Emmerton gave Detroit a 4-1 lead at the first intermission with a one-timer from the slot that went through the legs of Bernier.
Stoll brought the Kings back within two at the 11:03 mark of the second period by cleaning up a rebound in front of the net.
However, Detroit notched the next two goals on a Zetterberg backhander and a Datsyuk redirection to give the Red Wings a 6-2 advantage after two.
Miller and Stuart completed the rout with third-period goals while Howard stopped all 10 shots he faced in the period to hold off the Kings.
"We came out with good energy. We got that quick goal and another one right away so it put them on their heels, and we just kept rolling from there," Miller said.
The Kings have been held to two goals or less in 11 straight games...Justin Williams and Dustin Penner both assisted on each of the Kings' two goals...Danny Cleary had three assists for Detroit...The Kings went 0-for-4 on the power play, while Detroit converted on 1-of-3 power plays.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
Dec 17 9:35 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Brad Stuart (4), from Cory Emmerton and Niklas Kronwall at 11:18.
Kings 2, Red Wings 8 3rd - 8:42Dec 17 9:20 PM
- Detroit Goal - Andrew Miller (5), from Danny Cleary at 7:34.
Kings 2, Red Wings 7 3rd - 12:26Dec 17 9:09 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 2
End of 2nd
Dec 17 8:40 PM
- Detroit Goal - Pavel Datsyuk (10), from Johan Franzen and Todd Bertuzzi at 19:38.
Kings 2, Red Wings 6 2nd - 0:22Dec 17 8:40 PM
- Detroit Goal - Henrik Zetterberg (8), from Jiri Hudler and Niklas Kronwall at 12:06.
Kings 2, Red Wings 5 2nd - 7:54Dec 17 8:25 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Jarret Stoll, from Justin Williams and Dustin Penner at 11:03.
Kings 2, Red Wings 4 2nd - 8:57Dec 17 8:20 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 1
End of 1st
Dec 17 7:44 PM
- Detroit Goal - Cory Emmerton (2), from Justin Abdelkader and Tomas Holmstrom at 18:35.
Kings 1, Red Wings 4 1st - 1:25Dec 17 7:41 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Davis Drewiske, at 17:15.
Kings 1, Red Wings 3 1st - 2:45Dec 17 7:39 PM
- Detroit Goal - Niklas Kronwall (7), from Danny Cleary and Darren Helm at 8:32.
Kings 0, Red Wings 3 1st - 11:28Dec 17 7:21 PM
- Detroit Goal - Jonathan Ericsson (2), from Tomas Holmstrom at 2:00.
Kings 0, Red Wings 2 1st - 18:00Dec 17 7:13 PM
- Detroit Goal - Andrew Miller (4), from Darren Helm and Danny Cleary at 1:45.
Kings 0, Red Wings 1 1st - 18:15Dec 17 7:12 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 17 7:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Kings agree with coach Darryl Sutter on contract extension May 13
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Capitals get playoff payoff from Williams against Penguins May 8
- Kings GM: Coach Darryl Sutter has contract offer to return May 6
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 3
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 2
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30