Vancouver's Luongo clips Red WingsDec 22, 2011 - 8:24 AM
Chris Higgins, Cody Hodgson, Alexandre Burrows and Alexander Edler lit the lamp, while Jannik Hansen added a pair of assists for the Canucks, who have won three straight overall and six of their last seven at home.
"[The Red Wings] always make for some exciting games," said Luongo. "They are fun to play in. They shoot a lot. That's the way I like it."
Todd Bertuzzi and Drew Miller scored, while Jimmy Howard stopped 21-of-25 shots in defeat for the Wings, who had their two-game winning streak halted.
Trailing by two, the Red Wings elected to pull Howard with less than two minutes to play in regulation. Daniel Sedin was then whistled for tripping with 48.8 seconds to play, giving the Wings a 6-on-4 power play. They got some good pressure on the Vancouver net, but Luongo kept the puck out, preserving the two-goal win.
Vancouver opened the scoring at 9:36 of the first stanza when Mason Raymond picked up a loose puck in the neutral zone and raced into the offensive zone on the right wing. Raymond cut in on goal and fired a shot that was stopped by Howard, but Higgins pounced on the rebound and chipped it into the net to give the Canucks the 1-0 lead.
The Canucks scored again just 21 seconds later when Hansen, holding the puck on the left wing, found a cutting Hodgson, who walked in and blasted a slap shot past Howard from the slot.
The Red Wings responded at 13:46 when Ian White fired a shot from the right point that was blocked in front, but Bertuzzi was there to jam it home on the doorstep to make it 2-1.
The Canucks made it 3-1 at 15:40 when Sedin wristed a shot toward the net from just inside the blue line. Just as the puck arrived on net, Burrows drifted in front of Howard and deftly tipped it past the Wings' netminder.
Detroit cut it to a one-goal game again at 16:20 of the second stanza when Darren Helm fired a shot from the high slot that was deflected past Luongo by Miller, who was parked in front.
The Canucks, though, made it 4-2 3:30 into the final period while down a man. Hansen poked the puck out the neutral zone and was off to the races down the left wing. He went to his backhand and got a weak shot off while crashing into Howard, but Edler was following the play and fired it into a wide-open net.
"I'm just sick and tired of getting run over," said Howard. "It's every single game."
The Canucks are 17-4-0 this season when scoring the first goal. Vancouver is also 16-0-0 when leading after two periods this season...Detroit finished 0- for-4 on the power play, while Vancouver did not have any power play chances...The Canucks will battle the Calgary Flames on Friday, while the Red Wings will face the Flames on Thursday.
- DETROIT: 2
Dec 22 12:36 AM
- Vancouver Short-Handed Goal - Alexander Edler (6), from Jannik Hansen at 3:30.
Red Wings 2, Canucks 4 3rd - 16:30Dec 22 12:00 AM
- DETROIT: 2
End of 2nd
Dec 21 11:36 PM
- Detroit Goal - Darren Helm (5), at 16:20.
Red Wings 2, Canucks 3 2nd - 3:40Dec 21 11:28 PM
- DETROIT: 1
End of 1st
Dec 21 10:43 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Alexandre Burrows, from Daniel Sedin and Henrik Sedin at 15:40.
Red Wings 1, Canucks 3 1st - 4:20Dec 21 10:35 PM
- Detroit Goal - Todd Bertuzzi, at 13:46.
Red Wings 1, Canucks 2 1st - 6:14Dec 21 10:33 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Cody Hodgson (7), at 9:57.
Red Wings 0, Canucks 2 1st - 10:03Dec 21 10:24 PM
- Mason Raymond wrist shot on Jimmy Howard.
Red Wings 0, Canucks 1 1st - 10:24Dec 21 10:24 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 21 10:11 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 25
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 24
- Red Wings follow refrain, make brief appearance in playoffs Apr 22
- Bishop shines, Lightning eliminate Red Wings in 5 games Apr 22