Ebbett's two goals lead Canucks past OilersDec 27, 2011 - 6:54 AM
Alexandre Burrows and Ryan Kesler had a goal and an assist for the Canucks, who have won four of their last five. Roberto Luongo made 18 saves.
"It was a tough game out there against a tough opponent," said Vancouver head coach Alain Vigneault. "Every night is a challenge out there and you're not going to get many easy wins."
Corey Potter and Jordan Eberle each had a goal and a helper for the Oilers, who have dropped five of their past six games. Nikolai Khabibulin gave up five goals on 26 shots in the loss.
A three-goal first period is what propelled Vancouver to victory on Monday.
The first goal came just 3:11 in as a shot from the left circle by Christopher Higgins hit off of Andrew Ebbett and went in.
Just over five minutes later, it was a 2-0 game as a backhand pass from Henrik Sedin at the right circle went over to the left circle where his brother chipped it in.
On a rush play, Jannik Hansen sent a pass from the right wing to the center, where Ebbett was able to get his stick on it for the redirect and a 3-0 lead with 3:09 to play in the first.
"It's tough to come back when you dig yourself as big a hole as we did," said Edmonton head coach Tom Renney. "In this building against this team, you're not going to get many come-from-behind wins."
At the 8:28 mark of the second period, Vancouver forward Dale Weise received a boarding major and was ejected when he nailed Edmonton defenseman Alex Plante into the glass. Plante laid on the ice for several minutes before heading off the ice with a towel covering a cut over his face and he did not return.
"I hope he's ok because I never want to see a guy go off like that," said Weise. "I'll get in touch with him and see how he's doing. Things happen so fast and I thought I caught him on the shoulder and he wound up going in a vulnerable position. I respect the call."
Eberle got his team on the board at the 10:50 mark of the second on the power play when he chipped in a rebound from the left side, but Burrows answered on a give-and-go with Kesler that saw him tap-in a centering feed for the shorthanded goal.
Ryan Smyth made it a 4-2 game 42 seconds later on the same power play with his 14th goal of the year.
Kesler's tip-in of a Burrows feed 3:14 into the third gave the Canucks a 5-2 lead, while Potter scored his third of the year less than two minutes later.
Edmonton was unable to get any closer the rest of the way.
Vancouver hits the road for three games in California starting in San Jose on Wednesday...Edmonton continues its seven-game trek in Minnesota on Thursday...Vancouver has won two of three from Edmonton this season...Edmonton was 2-for-7 on the power play while Vancouver was 0-for-4.
- EDMONTON: 3
Dec 27 12:38 AM
- Edmonton Goal - Corey Potter (3), at 5:04.
Oilers 3, Canucks 5 3rd - 14:56Dec 27 12:09 AM
- Vancouver Goal - Ryan Kesler (9), from Alexandre Burrows and Alexander Edler at 3:14.
Oilers 2, Canucks 5 3rd - 16:46Dec 27 12:06 AM
- EDMONTON: 2
End of 2nd
Dec 26 11:43 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Ryan Smyth (14), from Ryan Jones and Sam Gagner at 12:18.
Oilers 2, Canucks 4 2nd - 7:42Dec 26 11:31 PM
- Vancouver Short-Handed Goal - Alexandre Burrows (14), at 11:36.
Oilers 1, Canucks 4 2nd - 8:24Dec 26 11:29 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Jordan Eberle (16), from Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins at 10:50.
Oilers 1, Canucks 3 2nd - 9:10Dec 26 11:27 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
End of 1st
Dec 26 10:54 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Andrew Ebbett (3), from Jannik Hansen and Cody Hodgson at 16:51.
Oilers 0, Canucks 3 1st - 3:09Dec 26 10:48 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Keith Ballard (14), at 8:13.
Oilers 0, Canucks 2 1st - 11:47Dec 26 10:31 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Andrew Ebbett (2), from Chris Higgins and Kevin Bieksa at 3:11.
Oilers 0, Canucks 1 1st - 16:49Dec 26 10:15 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 26 10:08 PM
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Canucks sign goalie Thatcher Demko to entry-level contract Apr 20
- Canucks sign North Dakota defenseman Troy Stecher Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Sharks look to forget past playoff collapse against Kings Apr 11