Oilers become Red Wings' latest victim at Joe Louis ArenaFeb 9, 2012 - 3:36 AM
Goals in the third period by Drew Miller and Henrik Zetterberg helped the Red Wings extend their home winning streak to 18 games in a 4-2 win over the Edmonton Oilers on Wednesday.
It's been over three months since Detroit last dropped a home contest -- a loss to Calgary on November 3 -- as the team has the longest home winning streak since the 1975-76 Philadelphia Flyers notched a league-tying 20 straight wins at The Spectrum.
Detroit is now 21-2-1 at Joe Louis Arena this season.
Cory Emmerton and Johan Franzen also scored while Joey MacDonald posted 15 saves for the Red Wings, who had gone 2-2-1 on a five-game road trip.
Edmonton center Sam Gagner continued his recent tear with two goals in the loss and now has eight in his past four games. Including an eight-point effort against Chicago last Thursday, he now has eight goals and seven assists during a five-game point streak.
Nikolai Khabibulin allowed all four goals on 30 shots for the Oilers, who have lost their past two games.
Gagner had tied the game earlier in the third, but the Red Wings went on top with 9:14 to play as a wrist shot from Justin Abdelkader in the slot was stopped by Khabibulin, but it sat behind him and he couldn't find it before Miller jammed it in.
Zetterberg gave the Red Wings some insurance when he pounced on a rebound in the slot and slid to the left before putting a wrister into the net with 5:16 left.
Detroit scored on the power play at the 13:18 mark of the first when Ian White used a slap-pass from the high slot to get the puck down low to Franzen, who redirected it into the net for his 21st of the year.
It was a 2-0 game 2:45 into the second when Abdelkader brought the puck out from the deep boards and got a shot on net that was stopped, but Emmerton was in front to clean up the rebound.
The hottest man in hockey, though, made it a one-goal game with 8:52 to play in the second as Gagner got the puck near the Detroit blue line and nearly lost control of it, but avoided the poke-check attempt from MacDonald and lifted a backhand into the net.
Gagner struck again at the 8:23 mark of the third while Edmonton was on the power play. Magnus Paajarvi grabbed a bad Detroit pass inside the right circle and made a power move to the front. MacDonald stopped Paajarvi's shot, but Gagner swooped in to backhand home the rebound to tie the game.
Detroit hosts Anaheim on Friday...The Oilers play in Ottawa on Saturday...Detroit took three of the four games against Edmonton this season...Detroit was 1-for-4 on the power play while Edmonton went 1-for-7.
- EDMONTON: 2
Feb 8 10:09 PM
- Detroit Goal - Henrik Zetterberg (10), at 14:44.
Oilers 2, Red Wings 4 3rd - 5:16Feb 8 9:57 PM
- Darren Helm wrist shot is wide.
Oilers 2, Red Wings 3 3rd - 8:59Feb 8 9:50 PM
- Ian White slap shot on Nikolai Khabibulin.
Oilers 2, Red Wings 2 3rd - 11:31Feb 8 9:47 PM
- EDMONTON: 1
End of 2nd
Feb 8 9:14 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Sam Gagner (12), from Jeff Petry at 11:07.
Oilers 1, Red Wings 2 2nd - 8:53Feb 8 8:57 PM
- Detroit Goal - Cory Emmerton (6), from Justin Abdelkader and Danny Cleary at 2:45.
Oilers 0, Red Wings 2 2nd - 17:15Feb 8 8:41 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
End of 1st
Feb 8 8:19 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Johan Franzen (21), from Ian White and Pavel Datsyuk at 13:18.
Oilers 0, Red Wings 1 1st - 6:42Feb 8 8:06 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 8 7:40 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29