Canucks win SO, end Red Wings' streak at homeFeb 24, 2012 - 4:47 AM
Detroit came into Thursday's game riding an NHL record 23-game home winning streak, but Alexandre Burrows scored in the final round of the shootout to give Vancouver a 4-3 win over the Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena.
On the final attempt of the shootout, Burrows skated in on net and faked to the backhand before lifting the puck past Jimmy Howard as Vancouver became the first team since Calgary on November 3 to win as the guests of the Red Wings.
Daniel Sedin scored twice, including the tying goal late in regulation, while Cody Hodgson scored the other goal for the Canucks, who won for the fifth time in their past six games. Roberto Luongo posted 33 saves and stopped all three skaters in the shootout.
Darren Helm had a goal and two assists, Justin Abdelkader scored one and assisted on another, while Kyle Quincey also scored for the Red Wings, who were coming off a loss in Chicago on Tuesday. Howard made 40 stops.
"We just have to put this behind us and come out ready for the next game," said Detroit head coach Mike Babcock. "You have highs and lows during the season, we just have to skate better and play smarter."
The Red Wings got the only goal of the first period at the 11:16 mark. Helm caused a turnover in his own end and skated down the right wing. He looked off the defender and from the right circle snapped a wrister home for his seventh of the year.
Vancouver tied the game with the only goal of the second period. Alexander Edler had the puck in the high slot and sent a shot on net. Henrik Sedin was able to slow it down and Daniel swept it in at the 13:34 mark of the frame.
Detroit took the lead 6:08 into the third when Abdelkader sent a pass from the outside right circle to the slot where Quincey gathered the rolling puck and snapped it in.
The Canucks tied the game with 6:34 to play as Hodgson's shot from the left circle went off the leg of Niklas Kronwall and snuck past Howard, but Abdelkader scored just 20 seconds later when he jammed in the puck as it sat on the line after a Helm shot.
With Luongo pulled, though, the Canucks tied the game with 15.4 seconds showing as Sedin's slap shot from the high slot went through with a bunch of bodies in front.
Detroit hosts Colorado on Saturday...Vancouver continues its six-game road trip in New Jersey on Friday...These teams split the four-game series, with each squad winning one in regulation and one in the shootout...Vancouver was 0-for-4 on the power play while Detroit was 0-for-5...Before the game, the Red Wings gave forward Todd Bertuzzi a two-year extension.
- VANCOUVER: 4
Final - 2OT
Feb 23 10:24 PM
- VANCOUVER: 3
End of OT
Feb 23 10:16 PM
- VANCOUVER: 3
End of Regulation
Feb 23 10:07 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Daniel Sedin (28), from Henrik Sedin and Ryan Kesler at 19:44.
Canucks 3, Red Wings 3 3rd - 0:16Feb 23 10:06 PM
- Detroit Goal - Justin Abdelkader (7), from Darren Helm and Andrew Miller at 13:46.
Canucks 2, Red Wings 3 3rd - 6:14Feb 23 9:53 PM
- Darren Helm wrist shot hit the goalpost.
Canucks 2, Red Wings 2 3rd - 6:15Feb 23 9:53 PM
- Detroit Goal - Kyle Quincey (6), from Justin Abdelkader and Darren Helm at 6:08.
Canucks 1, Red Wings 2 3rd - 13:52Feb 23 9:37 PM
- VANCOUVER: 1
End of 2nd
Feb 23 9:11 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Daniel Sedin (27), from Henrik Sedin and Alexander Edler at 13:33.
Canucks 1, Red Wings 1 2nd - 6:27Feb 23 9:00 PM
- VANCOUVER: 0
End of 1st
Feb 23 8:14 PM
- Detroit Goal - Darren Helm (7), at 11:16.
Canucks 0, Red Wings 1 1st - 8:44Feb 23 7:56 PM
- VANCOUVER: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 23 7:38 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 25
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 24
- Red Wings follow refrain, make brief appearance in playoffs Apr 22
- Bishop shines, Lightning eliminate Red Wings in 5 games Apr 22