Blues down OilersMar 1, 2012 - 6:49 AM Edmonton, AB (Sports Network) - Kevin Shattenkirk registered a power-play goal and two assists, as the St. Louis Blues remained hot on the road with a 5-2 win over the Edmonton Oilers.
Andy McDonald scored two goals for the Blues, who have won each of their first four stops on a six-game trek and tied Detroit for first place in the Central Division.
Jaroslav Halak made 22 saves to match St. Louis batterymate Brian Elliott with 20 wins. It marks the first time in Blues history that two goalies have posted at least 20 wins in a season.
Rookie Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Corey Potter lit the lamp for Edmonton, which entered Wednesday's game having won three of four. Devan Dubnyk surrendered three goals on 19 St. Louis shots before being replaced by Yann Danis, who recorded 10 saves in his first NHL appearance this season.
McDonald opened the scoring 59 seconds into the game and Nichol doubled the advantage, beating Dubnyk on the stick side with a long shot at the 2:05 mark of the second period.
The Blues went up 3-0 on McDonald's second tally, catching the Oilers in the middle of a line change. Shattenkirk retrieved a puck in the St. Louis zone and sent a long pass to T.J. Oshie at the Edmonton blueline. He then passed it to the slot for McDonald, who swept a backhander past Dubnyk at 7:34.
Danis took over between the pipes and the goalie switch seemed to invigorate the Oilers as Potter fired a point shot past Halak at 8:48.
Moments later, Edmonton's Ryan Smyth was assessed a five-minute major for checking from behind and a game misconduct for his hit on St. Louis defenseman Roman Polak.
"Absolutely, there was no intention," Smyth said. "I just tried to ride him in. I thought he was going one way, and he turned the other way and the hit happened."
The Oilers killed the penalty, then drew within a goal when Nugent-Hopkins tapped in a pass from Taylor Hall with 48 seconds left in the middle stanza.
"We struggled on our entry and that just kind of sucked the life out of our power play in general and that gave them some momentum and that kind of changed that period," McDonald said."We talked about it after the second and we had a good response in the third to turn it back around."
Shattenkirk restored St. Louis' two-goal lead, cutting to the crease and directing Alex Pietrangelo's pass into the net at 3:28 of the third period.
Chris Stewart completed the scoring by beating Danis on a penalty shot at 7:54.
St. Louis has won four in a row on the road for the first time since February 19-March 6, 2009...The Blues improved to 9-1-1 in the last 11 meetings in this series...Danis last played in an NHL game on March 28, 2010 at Philadelphia while a member of the New Jersey Devils.
- ST. LOUIS: 5
Mar 1 12:28 AM
- Kevin Shattenkirk snap shot on Yann Danis.
Blues 5, Oilers 2 3rd - 12:00Mar 1 12:05 AM
- Chris Stewart shot on Yann Danis.
Blues 4, Oilers 2 3rd - 12:06Mar 1 12:04 AM
- St Louis Goal - Chris Stewart (14), at 7:54.
Blues 5, Oilers 2 3rd - 12:06Mar 1 12:04 AM
- St Louis Goal - Kevin Shattenkirk, at 3:28.
Blues 4, Oilers 2 3rd - 16:32Feb 29 11:58 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 3
End of 2nd
Feb 29 11:35 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (15), from Taylor Hall at 19:12.
Blues 3, Oilers 2 2nd - 0:48Feb 29 11:32 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Corey Potter (4), at 8:48.
Blues 3, Oilers 1 2nd - 11:12Feb 29 11:15 PM
- St Louis Goal - Andy McDonald (5), at 7:34.
Blues 3, Oilers 0 2nd - 12:26Feb 29 11:11 PM
- St Louis Goal - Scott Nichol (3), from David Perron and Kevin Shattenkirk at 2:05.
Blues 2, Oilers 0 2nd - 17:55Feb 29 11:02 PM
- St Louis Goal - Andy McDonald (4), at :59.
Blues 1, Oilers 0 1st - 19:01Feb 29 10:10 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 29 10:07 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Sharks power play helps drive postseason success May 19
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 18