Wheels fall off late for Kings as Red Wings claim victoryMar 10, 2012 - 4:50 AM
Henrik Zetterberg had two goals and an assist while Valtteri Filppula added a goal and two assists for the Red Wings, who snapped a two-game losing streak to move to within two points of the St. Louis Blues for the top spot in the NHL. Joey MacDonald stopped 21 shots in the win.
"They played us tough and didn't give us much all night," said Zetterberg. "But we found a way to get some goals in the third and it was a hard-fought two points."
Jeff Carter posted a goal and an assist while Justin Williams and Dwight King also scored for the Kings, who have dropped their past two and remain one point behind idle San Jose for the eighth spot in the Western Conference.
Jonathan Quick was torched for four goals on 15 shots in the loss.
"Not a great feeling after a game like this," said Quick. "But it doesn't matter know and we have to move forward. It would have been nice to get the two points, but we just have to work harder our next game."
With the Kings holding a 3-2 lead, the Red Wings tied the game with 4:02 to play as Brendan Smith sent a backhand pass from the slot to the left side where a wide open Filppula flipped it into the net.
Detroit went ahead for good with 1:13 left as Johan Franzen skated the puck to the deep right boards and centered it for Helm, who redirected the puck in with a defender draped all over him.
The Kings got Quick out of the net and had their chances, but MacDonald stood tall for the win.
Los Angeles scored the first goal of the game on the power play when Carter jammed it in from the right side as MacDonald was trying to cover it up at the 7:29 mark of the first.
Detroit tied it seven minutes later on a one-timer from the right circle by Zetterberg.
The Kings made it a 2-1 game with 2:19 to play in the first as Williams' shot from the outside right circle beat MacDonald cleanly for his 16th of the season.
Detroit forged another deadlock with 4:23 to play in the second after Filppula skated through the defense up the middle and cut to the left before sending the puck back to the slot where Zetterberg shot it home.
King put LA back on top inside of six minutes left in the third.
LA winger Dustin Brown had an assist to extend his point streak to seven games. He has five goals and seven assists during that time...Detroit hits the road for the next four games starting Saturday in Nashville...Los Angeles wraps up its four-game road trip in Chicago on Sunday...The Kings went 1-for-4 on the power play while the Red Wings were 0-for-3.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
Mar 9 10:02 PM
- Detroit Goal - Darren Helm (9), from Johan Franzen at 18:46.
Kings 3, Red Wings 4 3rd - 1:14Mar 9 9:55 PM
- Detroit Goal - Valtteri Filppula (22), from Brendan Smith and Henrik Zetterberg at 15:58.
Kings 3, Red Wings 3 3rd - 4:02Mar 9 9:50 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Dwight King (3), from Jeff Carter at 14:06.
Kings 3, Red Wings 2 3rd - 5:54Mar 9 9:46 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 2
End of 2nd
Mar 9 9:04 PM
- Detroit Goal - Henrik Zetterberg (18), from Valtteri Filppula at 15:37.
Kings 2, Red Wings 2 2nd - 4:23Mar 9 8:56 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 2
End of 1st
Mar 9 8:12 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Justin Williams (16), from Dustin Brown at 17:41.
Kings 2, Red Wings 1 1st - 2:19Mar 9 8:09 PM
- Detroit Goal - Henrik Zetterberg (17), at 14:40.
Kings 1, Red Wings 1 1st - 5:20Mar 9 8:02 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Jeff Carter, from Anze Kopitar at 7:29.
Kings 1, Red Wings 0 1st - 12:31Mar 9 7:50 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 9 7:38 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Kings agree with coach Darryl Sutter on contract extension May 13
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Capitals get playoff payoff from Williams against Penguins May 8
- Kings GM: Coach Darryl Sutter has contract offer to return May 6
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 3
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 2
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30