Doughty helps Kings down WingsMar 14, 2012 - 5:52 AM
Justin Williams, Jeff Carter and Anze Kopitar had a goal and an assist apiece while Slava Voynov also scored for the Kings, who earned their second straight win. Jonathan Quick stopped 22 shots.
Jiri Hudler and Johan Franzen lit the lamp for Detroit, which lost for the fourth time in five games.
Jimmy Howard returned from a three-game absence because of a strained groin and allowed four goals on 26 shots.
"You are not going to win with the approach we had tonight," Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock said. "The other team can't win all the battles, all of the races."
Los Angeles opened the scoring at the 6:48 mark of the first period when Doughty's wrister from the right point was stopped by Howard, but Williams was there to jam the puck through the goaltender's pads and across the goal line.
Then, with 6:45 left in the opening frame, Los Angeles added to its lead while shorthanded. After Kopitar grabbed an errant pass at his blue line and raced down the right side of the ice, he fired a wrister from the right circle that sailed into the far side of the net to make it a 2-0 game after one.
The Red Wings cut their deficit in half 4:06 into the second when Henrik Zetterberg fired a cross-ice pass to Hudler at the right circle, where he stopped the puck with his skate and kicked it to his stick before firing a hard wrister through the short side.
But the Kings regained their two-goal cushion just past the midpoint of the middle stanza when Doughty's shot from the high slot deflected off Detroit's Ian White in the slot and bounced past Howard.
The lead stretched to 4-1 at the 8:23 mark of the third while on the power play after Jarret Stoll sent a pass from the left corner through a crowd to the right of the net, where Voynov banked a shot in off the right pad of Howard as he went down to make the save.
Franzen cleaned up a rebound off a Brad Stuart slap shot from the right point with 6:30 left in the game to bring the Red Wings back within two, but Carter's empty-net goal within the final minute sealed the outcome.
"Our special team were good tonight," Kings head coach Darryl Sutter said. "We had a good first period and weathered the storm in the second. With a little bit of luck, you win the game."
Kings forward Dustin Brown had two assists to extend his points streak to nine games, tying his career high. He has five goals and nine assists in the streak...Detroit took the season series, 3-1...Howard fell to 9-3-0 against the Pacific Division this season...Los Angeles went 1-for-2 on the power play, while Detroit went scoreless in four power-play opportunities.
- DETROIT: 2
LOS ANGELES: 5
Mar 14 1:02 AM
- Los Angeles Empty Net Goal - Jeff Carter (20), at 19:39.
Red Wings 2, Kings 5 3rd - 0:21Mar 14 1:01 AM
- Detroit Goal - Johan Franzen (26), from Brad Stuart at 13:30.
Red Wings 2, Kings 4 3rd - 6:30Mar 14 12:48 AM
- Dustin Brown tip-in shot on Jimmy Howard.
Red Wings 1, Kings 4 3rd - 11:38Mar 14 12:37 AM
- DETROIT: 1
LOS ANGELES: 3
End of 2nd
Mar 14 12:06 AM
- Justin Williams wrist shot on Jimmy Howard.
Red Wings 1, Kings 3 2nd - 8:33Mar 13 11:50 PM
- Detroit Goal - Jiri Hudler (21), from Henrik Zetterberg and Valtteri Filppula at 4:06.
Red Wings 1, Kings 2 2nd - 15:54Mar 13 11:35 PM
- DETROIT: 0
LOS ANGELES: 2
End of 1st
Mar 13 11:13 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Anze Kopitar, at 13:14.
Red Wings 0, Kings 2 1st - 6:46Mar 13 11:01 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Dustin Brown (20), at 6:48.
Red Wings 0, Kings 1 1st - 13:12Mar 13 10:48 PM
- DETROIT: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 13 10:38 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Kings agree with coach Darryl Sutter on contract extension May 13
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Capitals get playoff payoff from Williams against Penguins May 8
- Kings GM: Coach Darryl Sutter has contract offer to return May 6
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 3
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 2
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30