Bolts spoil Hurricanes' home openerJan 23, 2013 - 4:23 AM
Keith Aulie and Ryan Malone added third-period scores and Vincent Lecavalier posted two assists for the Lightning, who have won two of three to start the season.
"It was important to get off to an early start and that carried us," Malone admitted.
Mathieu Garon stopped 35-of-36 shots for the victory, Tampa's fifth in the last six games in North Carolina's capital.
Jeff Skinner provided the lone offense for the Hurricanes, who have lost two in a row to kick off the year. Cam Ward allowed all four scores on 26 shots in defeat.
"We were a better team tonight than we were the other night," said Hurricanes head coach Kirk Muller. "But we're 0-2 to start the year and we need to be tougher in the defensive end and more productive on offense."
Aulie's tally from the left circle the Bolts a 3-1 edge at 1:37 of the third period, and Malone's easy tap-in from the left side of the crease on a power play upped Tampa's advantage to three just before the midway point.
Garon closed out his first win of the abbreviated schedule with 15 saves in the final 20 minutes.
Pyatt opened the scoring at 5:18 of the first period by batting a Lecavalier centering feed out of the air on the backhand in the slot. Conacher made it 2-0 by stuffing home a Lecavalier rebound in front with 11:36 played.
Carolina had a brief 5-on-3 power play early in the second period, but Skinner lifted a rebound home on the ensuing one-man edge at 3:35.
Bolts forwards Teddy Purcell and Steven Stamkos added assists and tied for the team lead thus far with four apiece ... Former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Bill Cowher was in attendance.
- TAMPA BAY: 4
Jan 22 9:55 PM
- Ryan Malone shot blocked by Justin Faulk.
Lightning 4, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 10:04Jan 22 9:22 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Keith Aulie, from Brendan Mikkelson at 1:37.
Lightning 3, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 18:23Jan 22 9:06 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 2
End of 2nd
Jan 22 8:45 PM
- Carolina Power-Play Goal - Jeff Skinner, at 3:35.
Lightning 2, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 16:25Jan 22 8:12 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 2
End of 1st
Jan 22 7:46 PM
- Vincent Lecavalier wrist shot on Cam Ward.
Lightning 2, Hurricanes 0 1st - 8:26Jan 22 7:28 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Tom Pyatt, from Vincent Lecavalier and Matt Carle at 5:18.
Lightning 1, Hurricanes 0 1st - 14:42Jan 22 7:18 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 22 7:09 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17