Gaborik nets hat trick, OT winner as Rangers nip BruinsJan 24, 2013 - 4:47 AM
In the extra session, Andrew Ference couldn't handle a pass at the right point and the puck slid into the neutral zone.
Gaborik tapped it ahead and caught up to the puck in the Boston end. His first shot was stopped, but he banged the rebound out of mid-air for his 14th career hat trick.
"I just tried to chip it in front of me and keep it from bouncing," said Gaborik. "I got a good shot off on the first try and he made the stop, but fortunately I was able to get some wood on the rebound."
Taylor Pyatt scored the other goal while Henrik Lundqvist stopped 26 shots for the Rangers, who avoided a second straight three-loss start to a campaign.
Milan Lucic, Nathan Horton and Brad Marchand all scored for the Bruins, who failed in their bid for their first 3-0 start since 2001-02. Tuukka Rask gave up all four goals on 33 shots.
"This is never an easy place to come into and they're one of the heayweight favorites to be in it at the end this year," said Lucic. "It was nice that we stayed with them, just couldn't pull it out at the end there."
New York took a 1-0 lead at the 4:36 mark of the first on a set play. A lead pass through the middle found Brad Richards at the blueline and he one-touched it over to his left. The puck found Rick Nash and he fired it over to the right where Gaborik threw it into the net from a sharp angle for his first of the season.
It only took a bit over two minutes later for Gaborik to get his second goal of the season when he tipped in a Michael Del Zotto right point shot.
Boston made it a one-goal game just 1:05 into the second period on the power play when Dougie Hamilton's slap shot from the high slot went off the stick of Marchand and past Lundqvist.
The Bruins tied the game at the 12:24 mark of the second when Lucic's third chance on a rebound got past Lundqvist.
New York, though, answered less than a minute later as a shot by Derek Stepan from the left boards was stopped, but Pyatt was at the left of the net to backhand home the rebound for a 3-2 lead.
Boston tied the game late in the third as good work from Gregory Campbell along the deep left boards saw him center the puck with Horton wristing it home with 4:23 left in regulation.
Hamilton's assist on the first goal was the first point of his NHL career ... Boston had taken a 3-1 win at home against the Rangers on Saturday ... The Rangers play in Philly on Thursday ... Boston hosts the Islanders on Friday ... Boston, which killed all five New York power plays in the game, is now a perfect 14-for-14 killing penalties this season ... Boston went 1-for-5 on the power play. The team was 0-for-9 on the season coming in.
- BOSTON: 3
NEW YORK: 4
Final - OT
Jan 23 10:11 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Marian Gaborik (3), at :27.
Bruins 3, Rangers 4 OT - 4:33Jan 23 10:08 PM
- BOSTON: 3
NEW YORK: 3
End of Regulation
Jan 23 10:08 PM
- Shot blocked by Michael Del Zotto.
Bruins 3, Rangers 3 3rd - 3:39Jan 23 10:01 PM
- BOSTON: 2
NEW YORK: 3
End of 2nd
Jan 23 9:12 PM
- Zdeno Chara shot blocked by Ryan Callahan.
Bruins 2, Rangers 3 2nd - 2:10Jan 23 9:08 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Carl Hagelin, at 16:24.
Bruins 2, Rangers 4 2nd - 3:36Jan 23 9:06 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Taylor Pyatt (2), at 13:10.
Bruins 2, Rangers 3 2nd - 6:50Jan 23 9:00 PM
- Boston Goal - Milan Lucic (2), from Zdeno Chara and David Krejci at 12:24.
Bruins 2, Rangers 2 2nd - 7:36Jan 23 8:58 PM
- Boston Power-Play Goal - Brad Marchand (2), at 1:05.
Bruins 1, Rangers 2 2nd - 18:55Jan 23 8:39 PM
- BOSTON: 0
NEW YORK: 2
1st Period - 13:11
Bruins 0, Rangers 2 1st - 13:11Jan 23 7:53 PM
- BOSTON: 0
NEW YORK: 1
1st Period - 15:24
Bruins 0, Rangers 1 1st - 15:24Jan 23 7:50 PM
- BOSTON: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 23 7:41 PM
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Bergeron, Kesler, Kopitar are Selke Trophy finalists Apr 28
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Apr 26
- Penguins goaltender Fleury still dealing with concussion Apr 25
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- New faces making instant impact during Penguins' surge Apr 24