Islanders pour it on, batter LeafsJan 25, 2013 - 7:31 AM
Matt Moulson and Michael Grabner scored two goals apiece for the Islanders, who were down 3-1 after the first period. Evgeni Nabokov made 39 saves for New York, which opened its season by splitting a pair of home games.
Matt Frattin and Carl Gunnarsson each had a goal and two assists for Toronto.
The Maple Leafs recalled Frattin from the AHL earlier Thursday to replace forward Joffrey Lupul, who is expected to miss a minimum of six weeks due to a fractured forearm suffered in Wednesday's win in Pittsburgh.
"I think we saw one team last night and we saw a total different team tonight. We were out of sync," said Toronto coach Randy Carlyle.
Ben Scrivens was pulled in the third period after giving up five goals on 25 shots. James Reimer recorded seven saves in relief.
Mark Streit and Boyes erased the Islanders' two-goal deficit by scoring 1:26 apart in the second period.
Boyes set up Streit's power-play tally, then went to the net and tapped in a feed from Frans Nielsen with 6:50 left.
Grabner and Keith Aucoin lit the lamp 72 seconds apart early in the third period to give the visitors a 5-3 lead.
Boyes made a backhand, cross-ice pass over to Grabner, who fired the puck behind Scrivens. Reimer entered the game after Aucoin scored on a one-timer from the right circle at 4:35.
Moulson potted his second goal of the game at 11:20, but Toronto made things interesting later in the frame.
Frattin converted Nazem Kadri's pass from behind the net with 2:13 left. Seconds later, Phil Kessel had a backhander go behind Nabokov. However, Aucoin bailed out his netminder and swept the puck off the goal line.
"I was lucky enough to get (the puck) out of there," Aucoin said.
Grabner sealed the win with an empty-net, short-handed goal with 1:10 to play.
Gunnarsson opened the scoring 2:12 into the contest, beating Nabokov from the left point with a slap shot.
The Islanders pulled even on Moulson's first of the season at 8:39. Moulson, who paced the club with a career-best 36 goals in 2011-12, backhanded a loose puck past Scrivens, a fellow Cornell product. The Maple Leafs had won a faceoff in the defensive zone, but Scrivens couldn't control the puck and was unable to deny Moulson.
Kadri put Toronto back on top 65 seconds later. John-Michael Liles missed the net with a drive from the point, but puck caromed off the end boards out front to Kadri and the 2009 No. 7 overall pick beat a sprawled Nabokov at 9:44.
Mikhail Grabovski made it 3-1 with 7:12 remaining in the first period, collecting a pass from Frattin in the neutral zone and ripping a wrister past Nabokov's glove.
John Tavares and Nielsen each had two assists for the Islanders ... Maple Leafs defenseman Cody Franson played in his 200th NHL game ... The Islanders were 17-19-5 on the road last season ... Toronto captain Dion Phaneuf was minus-3 in almost 26 minutes of ice time.
- NEW YORK: 7
Jan 24 9:39 PM
- NY Islanders Short-Handed Goal - Michael Grabner (3), at 18:50.
Islanders 7, Maple Leafs 4 3rd - 1:10Jan 24 9:36 PM
- Toronto Goal - Matt Frattin, at 17:47.
Islanders 6, Maple Leafs 4 3rd - 2:13Jan 24 9:31 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Matt Moulson (2), at 11:20.
Islanders 6, Maple Leafs 3 3rd - 8:40Jan 24 9:20 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Keith Aucoin, from David Ullstrom and Colin McDonald at 4:34.
Islanders 5, Maple Leafs 3 3rd - 15:26Jan 24 9:05 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Michael Grabner (2), from Brad Boyes and Frans Nielsen at 3:22.
Islanders 4, Maple Leafs 3 3rd - 16:38Jan 24 9:02 PM
- NEW YORK: 3
End of 2nd
Jan 24 8:39 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Brad Boyes, at 13:10.
Islanders 3, Maple Leafs 3 2nd - 6:50Jan 24 8:27 PM
- NY Islanders Power-Play Goal - Mark Streit, at 11:43.
Islanders 2, Maple Leafs 3 2nd - 8:17Jan 24 8:24 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of 1st
Jan 24 7:45 PM
- Dion Phaneuf slap shot on Evgeni Nabokov.
Islanders 1, Maple Leafs 3 1st - 6:37Jan 24 7:34 PM
- Toronto Goal - Nazem Kadri (3), at 9:44.
Islanders 1, Maple Leafs 2 1st - 10:16Jan 24 7:26 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Matt Moulson, at 8:39.
Islanders 1, Maple Leafs 1 1st - 11:21Jan 24 7:24 PM
- Toronto Goal - Carl Gunnarsson, at 2:12.
Islanders 0, Maple Leafs 1 1st - 17:48Jan 24 7:12 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 24 7:08 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7
- Garrison's OT goal lifts Lightning to 2-1 win over Islanders May 7